Calling cooking experts... what to do with regular oatmeal? Lots of it

Try this
smile.png

http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_quakerKitchen/recipes/index.cfm

put it in the blender with some milk and honey for a great facial scrub. Someone mentioned cookies with dried cherries, i made some and added white chocolate chips...wonderful. My grandmother makes an old fashioned oatmeal cake with molassses thats so moist its amazing.

I did a search and I bet I came up with something unusual.....

Make a dry shampoo

Do you sometimes need to skip washing your hair in order to get to work on time? Keep a batch of dry shampoo on hand in an airtight container specifically for those occasions when your alarm clock "malfunctions." Put 1 cup oatmeal in the blender and grind it into a fine powder. Add 1 cup baking soda, and mix well. Rub a bit of the mixture into your hair. Give it a minute or two to soak up the oils, then brush or shake it out of your hair (preferably over a towel or bag to avoid getting it all over). This dry shampoo mixture is also ideal for cleaning the hair of bedridden people who are unable to get into a shower or bathtub. Plus, it's equally effective for deodorizing that big ol' bath-hating mutt of yours.

My grandmother used to be a nurse and they used to make an areosol spray that did the same thing...lifesaver on occasion.

* Any of these tickle your fancy yet? Don't forget oatmeal scones with lots of goodies in them for those "hate- running-out-the-door-starving" moments!! Ed: DARN!! Now I did that TWICE IN 24 hrs.!
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually, a handful of dry oatmeal is good in a smoothie (like to drink), too
smile.png

Oh, and I have a GREAT no-bake cookie recipe if you would like me to dig it up for you, consists of about 4 c regular oats, coconut, melted chocolate, and some milk and sugar and butter heated together... you mix it all together and spoon it out in little blobs and it hardens and oooooooh it is good
smile.png

Pat

Huh? Are you kidding me? How bout just "Oatmeal". LOL
wink.png

My son & I eat it all the time as a hot cereal. I doctor it up with all kinds of goodies. I usually start with butter & heavy cream, no matter what else I'm putting in. I've sweetened it with honey, sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup or molasses. You can also add fruit; raisins and apples are our favorite.

It should keep for quite a long time if you have a freezer to put it in. It's also good for a soak if you have poison ivy or otherwise irritated skin. (grind it up in the blender first, tho, or you will feel like you are taking a bath in a bowl of oatmeal--clog up your pipes and all.) When I'm going to bathe with it, I just grind up some and mix a couple of tablespoons with a mild liquid soap.

Cassandra

They all sound like good ideas! I'm only visiting here where this illusive bag of "Oat meal" is living on the shelf untouched because it is not the "instant" one minute oat meal.
roll.png
I don't like food going to waste and am determined to make it eatable!

I like that oatmeal site. Go figure right... go look at the major oat meal brand web page to get like 100 recipes! Duh.
tongue.png

Thanks for the offer for big oatmeal cookie recipes, but that idea got shot down just about 15 minutes ago due to the sugar and butter content. LOL

I'm about 300 miles away from the chickens... else... I'd be top roo at home. LOL. It would have been long gone.

I don't eat oat meal in it's plain form myself, I can't stand it's plain flavor. Now in apple crisp toping... that's good. I'm lucky enough to have genetics that give me lower than average cholesterol. I can eat all the egg yolks I want! mmmm

As for putting it my hair... Not sure about that one... I have black hair... something tells me no matter how much brushing and shaking I'd do... my head would still look powdery!

Unless I can convince my SO otherwise, I guess I'll be getting up early enough to turn this regular oat meal into the consistency of instant oatmeal.

This morning for breakfast I just rediscovered cooked oatmeal. We always cooked it in water then added milk when it was done. This time I cooked it in milk. OMG, what a huge difference!! I'm almost 55 years old. You would think it would have dawned on me to try this before!
tongue.png
It was like eating dessert for breakfast. I'll never use water again!
wee.gif

Susan

Quote:
Sorry, I just now saw this! That's the only downside to this method. You have to cook it on medium to medium-low and stir constantly. Probably not practical for a busy morning. After it's finished cooking (about 2 min. after it comes to a simmer) I remove from heat and cover with a lid. Let it sit for a few minutes. It will thicken and if there's any stuck to the bottom, it usually loosens after sitting. Oh, add the oats after the milk comes to simmer unless you like really, really pudding-y consistency.

Susan

Back
Top Bottom