calling for advice from bunny folks ...update wry neck:(

Mrs. Feathers

Songster
13 Years
Apr 2, 2010
I posted last month on my rescue bunny. Obviouly I lack some tech skills as I tried to update that post but could not figure it out....
Here is a quickish summary
I have a bunny that was rescued from a cull (she was a 3 week oldish orphan). She was vet checked and healthy. I have fed her timothy hay, pellets, fresh veggies, fruit and dandelion leaves. She is extremely social and I had been taking her to school daily and home at night. She has a buddy who was rescued at the same time as her although we do not think they are litter mates (or whatever we call them in bunny lingo).
Edited to add that she is about six months old now.
One day my bunny seemed very tired at the end of the day and when I took her home I noticed she was "clumsy" falling particularly to her right side. I kept her home for a week and she improved. Wry neck was questioned when I initially posted but she appeared to have no neurological signs ...no head tilt....no eye rolling....no shaking...no weakness in her limbs. She seemed to improve with rest over the week and was scratching at her cage door whenever she saw me getting ready for work in the morning so I took her back in after about ten days.

Update is that I usually take her in her sheepsking lined carrier to transfer her into her school cage (slightly spoiled bunny). This time I thought I would take her own cage in case playing with her buddy aggrivated things for her. She was quite slippy in the car and I am really upset that I put her at risk to reinjure herself. When I brought her home that night she was really having a hard time and flopping lots to the right side. We visited a vet the next day who could see nothing wrong...checked ears...neurological...limbs....and thought it was likely a soft tissue injury or perhaps spinal injury...treatment for either would be rest.

Two weeks later...she is improving but still has the issue of falling to the right when she turns. She does well on our carpet but does need to go to her cage at night and when we go to work as we are worried about her chewing cords or injurring herself in other ways. In her cage, even with a foam floor, she slips all over.

I am wondering if we should be doing more? Our vet admits to not being highly rabbit aware.

Thoughts?
We really do love this little gal and want to do the best for her that we can.
she is the brown one...

52993_img_2347.jpg

Last edited:
hello.
hoping another rabbit expert chimes in. it is very hard to find a rabbit vet. i ended up luckily finding one, in my area, and its so nice when "they" know what they are talking about. especially when their anatomy is different.

your black and white bun looks like my 6 year old boy "oreo"
smile.png

good luck.

Poor girl. The House Rabbit Society has a web site with a lot of information on rabbit care, health issues, living with disabled rabbits and locating a vet with rabbit experience. If you don't see a vet listed in your area on the web site, you can contact the HRS chapter for your state and ask them for a recommendation.

http://www.rabbit.org/

Quote:
Thank you for this link. I have been doing lots of reading on it. It is reasuring to me to read about all the bunnies who have quality of life despite having disabilities. We have made adaptations to Jenna`s envirionment and I learned about more that we can do to make things easier for her.
She is such a social little thing and it seems like she continues to enjoy life. I am going to keep her home for a good two months though to give her recovery time and not rush things. She does love visiting with the kids at school so I hope she does not get too bored at home. Right now she is the only pet who gets to run around on the living room carpet...becoming queen of the house.

Mrs. Feathers :

Quote:
funny...her name is Oreo too!

Idk what to say about you bunny I've never heard of that happening. I have a bunnie named Oreo. He's two years old.​

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I don't have any suggestions but you have 2 adorable bunnies there!
love.gif

Do you know what breed they're?

They are very sweet and super friendly. I have no idea of their breeding because they both come from a local university campus where people have dumped unwanted pet bunnies and a very large community had grown. There was a cull late last spring and these ones were two of six orphaned kits rescued by a parent at my school. Two of the six did not survive it but ours did
love.gif
I think the black and white one may have a little English Spot (it is my friend`s bunny). Mine is the brown one and our vet thinks she likely has some Holland Lop/mini rex sort of mix but they could both be pretty much anything.
The good news is that she seems to be improving with rest and limited free exercise.
wee.gif

Mrs. Feathers :

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I don't have any suggestions but you have 2 adorable bunnies there!
love.gif

Do you know what breed they're?

They are very sweet and super friendly. I have no idea of their breeding because they both come from a local university campus where people have dumped unwanted pet bunnies and a very large community had grown. There was a cull late last spring and these ones were two of six orphaned kits rescued by a parent at my school. Two of the six did not survive it but ours did
love.gif
I think the black and white one may have a little English Spot (it is my friend`s bunny). Mine is the brown one and our vet thinks she likely has some Holland Lop/mini rex sort of mix but they could both be pretty much anything.
The good news is that she seems to be improving with rest and limited free exercise.
wee.gif

Your babies are beautiful! We have two "litter mates" that looked exactly as your two when we rescued them. We were told that they are mini Rex - Dutch mixes. We named the female Chocolate Chip and the male (brown one) Cocoa.​

Back
Top Bottom