Calling goat experts! Need opinion!

@cassie , yes she either is or isn't pregnant, and nothing can be done, but it is important to know whether or not she is for several reasons:
Feeding - pregnant does should get alfalfa (at least near to kidding) and grain
Health - pregnant does should be dewormed and vaccinated if the owner so chooses
Housing - a dry, secure, safe, and warm place should be made ready for a kidding. Fencing should be able to keep kids from escaping.
Preparation - a kidding kit should be collected and a vet should be on speed dial
etc etc etc
By the time a kidding kit is needed, it will be very clear she is pregnant. The other things you mentioned are true whether the doeling is pregnant or not. I fed all my goats alfalfa because that is what I had available and personally I think it is the best feed for them. However, I have been in parts of the country where the goats were fed a good grass hay because that is what was available and alfalfa just wasn't. These breeders also fed a grain ration and a mineral mix that was far different than what I used. Alfalfa is high in calcium and low in phosphorous while grass hays are high in phosphorous and low in calcium. Grass hays are also lower in protein than alfalfa but really good grass hays put up right can have a protein level that rivals alfalfa. You have to take that in consideration when choosing a grain mix and a mineral mix. My point was that it is going to be very obvious very soon whether this doeling is pregnant or not and any adjustments to her management can be made at that time. Meanwhile, she needs to be wormed if necessary and receive any vaccinations. Those things are important both in pregnant and non pregnant stock.

@cassie I'm just simply thinking what I would want to know for my goats. She might not have mentioned anything about bulling but it could be one chic fight away from her being head butted in the side and then boom dead baby. She needs to know so she can prepare and get the right supplies and food for her and the baby. All my goats get grain and hay. My milking mama's also get a few other kinds of foods like beet root pellets and alfalfa pellets. She might need to give her goat even more feed the usual. And then also there might be some foods she should avoid giving her goat. I just think that if she can find out it's better too.
You are right, but if this goat continues to develop an udder the OP is going to know she is pregnant, ultrasound or not. In fact I think she will have a pretty good idea in the next couple weeks or so.

You are right, but if this goat continues to develop an udder the OP is going to know she is pregnant, ultrasound or not. In fact I think she will have a pretty good idea in the next couple weeks or so.
The development cycle take much longer than a few weeks. It take up to 4-5 months until the doe gives birth and 3-4 months into it, you start seeing udder developement. In this case, her doe’s are only 5 months. Your timeline wouldnt make much sense unless you want her to go without the correct nutrients until she is close to kidding. If she IS pregnant, she would only have been able to be bred up to a month ago the latest.

go without the correct nutrients until she is close to kidding.

So if the doeling is pregnant, she needs the right food, houseing, worming, vaccinations, and so forth.

Is it safe to just provide those things anyway, whether she's pregnant or not?
Or would they be harmful if she is not pregnant?

So if the doeling is pregnant, she needs the right food, houseing, worming, vaccinations, and so forth.

Is it safe to just provide those things anyway, whether she's pregnant or not?
Or would they be harmful if she is not pregnant?
Nope. It’s just safer to know if somethings are dangerous for pregnant does, but not for others if you need to give them something

The development cycle take much longer than a few weeks. It take up to 4-5 months until the doe gives birth and 3-4 months into it, you start seeing udder developement. In this case, her doe’s are only 5 months. Your timeline wouldnt make much sense unless you want her to go without the correct nutrients until she is close to kidding. If she IS pregnant, she would only have been able to be bred up to a month ago the latest.
What correct nutrients would those be? Pregnant or not she needs all the hay she can eat and I gave all my growing doelings some grain. I didn't read the original post as closely as I should have and I thought she was a lot farther along than she is. If the OP wants to get an ultrasound she should get one, but the management of the doeling shouldn't be much different either way. You want to feed plenty of good hay and enough grain so she is in good growing condition but not enough so she gets fat. The results of the ultrasound, whatever they may be, won't change that.

Back
Top Bottom