Calling in the Buckeye people!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sable Crow, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Sable Crow

Sable Crow New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    Berks County, PA
    Hello, I'm entering my 7th year of 4h and I figured that I should start to get back on my A-game before I age out. Well, This year I decided to focus my project on buckeyes. I find Buckeyes very interesting and desirable, and bringing them into my club would jump-start the breed around here. Well, first thing's first, I need to talk to some breeders and hit the books [​IMG] I came back to this site mainly to learn about the breed, find out what the reputable strains are and eventually acquire some birds and start raising/showing/showing/breeding!
    So, Calling all buckeye Owners/Breeders and junkies [​IMG] Feel free to post pics and share about the genetic history of your flock and general information about the breed! [​IMG] I appreciate every tid bit!

- Sable Crow

2. karenbrat1

karenbrat1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Hi Sable Crow, I am pretty new to having Buckeyes myself, but am very happy with the size, conformation, color and temperament of a trio I bought last fall. Check my sig line for links to the farm I bought mine from, as well as the American Buckeye Club. Welcome!

3. knittychickadee

knittychickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Marengoite

Marengoite Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Hi, Sable Crow.

I got started with Buckeyes last year and I'm very happy with them. They are very calm, capable chickens. I also have Silver Spangled Hamburgs and they are very flighty by comparison. The Buckeyes will mob me when I go out to feed while the Hamburgs keep their distance. They lay a nice medium-to-large brown egg. It's not as dark as my Golden comet eggs, or quite as large, but they are good dependable chickens.

My rooster is very calm. He has never once tried to spur anyone (unlike my Barred rock cockerel who has chased the neighbor children and had a go at my 13 year old son). However, when the Hamburgs want to mix it up with him, he doesn't back down and pretty much lets them know that the reason he can be so calm is because he's no one to mess with.

The ABC does have some members in PA, so if you join the FB group and put a shout-out up there, I'm sure you'll find a couple kindred spirits in your state willing to share good birds, as well as information.

edited by staff

5. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    We have an excellent Breeder Directory broken down by state here on the American Buckeye Poultry Club website:

You will find that many of the breeders on this list are very happy to work with young breeders and 4-H youth (my daughter Allie was the 4-H Poultry Leader for her last two years in High School in fact!)

As well, there's a great thread here on this forum with a ton of good info on Buckeyes, check it out! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/271644/buckeye-breed-thread

You'll find all you can ask for there and more.

And if there's anything we can help you with, don't hesitate to post in there, lots of breeders more than willing to help.

Cheers,

Laura

edited by staff

6. Blueface

Blueface Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    The Buckeye State
    Can anyone provide a good website for buckeye chickens? Run away.....RUN NOW!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  7. Marengoite

Marengoite Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by