Calling in the experts....hatching emercency!!

O'Henry Farms

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 29, 2010
Grassy Creek, NC
So my last 2 hatches both totally went down the tubes. Both time when I cracked the eggs to see what had happened I found chickens that had pipped the internal membrane and stopped there. There was 5+ DIS. with no obvious deformities. They were fully formed, good sized, and had already absorbed the yolk sack in most cases. They slid out of the membrane easily which makes me think it isn't a problem with them getting stuck. I am just so very discouraged. This cannot happen again. It is ruining my hopes and dreams!!!! We had such good luck the first time! My husband is building me a chicken mansion and I'm afraid I won't have anything to put in it! Please help!!!

I have been using the dry incubation method. The only thing I can think of is that these eggs were set about a week before I set the 2nd set. Maybe that prevented them from loosing water like they needed to. During Lockdown I try to keep humidity around 65-75. It did drop a few times bellow that but the chicks certainly did not seem dry.

O'Henry Farms :

I have been using the dry incubation method. The only thing I can think of is that these eggs were set about a week before I set the 2nd set. Maybe that prevented them from loosing water like they needed to. During Lockdown I try to keep humidity around 65-75. It did drop a few times bellow that but the chicks certainly did not seem dry.

65%-75% is WAY too high. I use 45-55% during lockdown. Ducks not much higher either. It seems to have helped not having such high humidity.​

Another very important aspect many folks overlook is when preparing a flock for hatching eggs, is a slight change in feed is critcal, concentrating on vitamins & Minerals that help the embryo's develop better in the egg all the way to hatch.

AL

These are the main reasons chicks do not hatch out. Temps/humidity too extreme, sudden and prolong temp change at time of hatch and insufficient oxygen/ventilation.

Now I am no expert but I have some experiences with poor hatches. I've ran humidity high from 1-21 and had chicks die after pipping. After this experience, I am a little more hands on. There were a few eggs in my last batch that did not pip the shell, but I could hear peeping inside. After about day 22 and a few had hatched I made a small whole in the top end of the egg where the air sack is. This expose chicks who had pipped the internal membrane and were peeping. I a little by little I helped zip the shell, and then let them work their way out after zipping. I know people say not to mess with hatching chicks, but after losing too many during the hatching period I went to some external resources to find out how to help. Last batch I had a great hatch rate helping the majority them pip and zip.

Back
Top Bottom