Calling it Quits

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nittanyxi, Feb 21, 2013.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I have my overpriced fertile eggs from ebay. I have my hovobator with a fan, and I have 3 digital thermometers all with different temperatures and no way to know if any of them are actually reading the correct temperature. I could buy another thermometer but that would just be throwing more money away. what good is another thermometer with a 4th reading going to do. How can I trust any of these thermometers.

calibrating in ice water and boiling water wont work. There is no way to calibrate them. I've just had it.

2. fduncan

fduncan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    You can calibrate about any of them if there ones you cant get wet just stick them in a ziplock bag when you do the ice test or hot water test :)

3. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I can't get them wet. Plastic melts in boiling water and I have been told even if you do calibrate it at freezing it means nothing when you try to set it at the oposite end of the spectum at 99.5

4. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    How far apart are they?

You do not have to be exact in your temps, 99-100 is ideal, but you can be off a degree and still get results. Most thermometers are plus/minus 2 degrees in accuracy.

Momma hen does not fret over three thermometers, why should we?

Here is a good write up that talks about temp ranges and incubation.

http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/poweroff.html

5. fduncan

fduncan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    The point of the ziploc is they dont get wet because there in the bag. Never heard that about the ice water that's how I did all mine and there all reading the same just had to deduct a couple degrees off my one digital .

6. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    OH, wa-waaaa Eat a hard boiled egg & call me in the morning
    Do you actually think you are the only person here that has had that problem? I don't know how many members are on this forum, but there probably 1/5 of all the people that have had the same problem (that's supposed to be a pep talk)
    So here is what you do: go on like to Lyon Incubator, find their thermometers & order a 6" Mercury thermometer 500-011 or a Mercury/hygrometer #500-016 (the Hygrometer works as a wet bulb) There both accurate to 1/2 degree. I've had one for 30 years, still accurate.
    OR if you have the room, (you need at least 11" of space) (or you can drill a hold through the side of you bator & stick it through. It has a bump pert way up to stop it from going further) A Thermometer made by Kessler Instrument (their I NY) & you want thermometer # 1067 It reads from 94 - 108. Its also a mercury thermometer & its pretty hard to read because the line is so thin, but it's the one I use to check all my other ones - I have 3 & all them read exactly the same
    I don't know the price of these, the price list I have is , like me, OLD But you will never be in doubt about temperatures again
    Kessler also has one specifically for wert bulb Humidity readings, have a couple of those too>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by