Calling Meat Poultry Producers (Chicken, Turkey, Duck, Goose, ect.)

Quote:
That is not allowed where i am (I think) i had to get help from this guy that showed me how to butcher a chicken and he said that i had to do most of it because hes not allowed to process a chicken for anyone othere then himself.

Quote:
The only certification that I'm aware of is "Organic," and you have to jump through a ton of government hoops, pay fees, etc. as "organic" is a legal term. Words like "humane, antibiotic free, natural," etc are not regulated and can mean whatever you want. Keep that in mind also when buying meat from the store.

Quote:
That is not allowed where i am (I think) i had to get help from this guy that showed me how to butcher a chicken and he said that i had to do most of it because hes not allowed to process a chicken for anyone othere then himself.

I'm not sure how they could regulate it at that level. That would make it illegal to fillet your buddy's fish or help him cut up his deer.

Basically, a lot of regulations are set up for the huge factory farm or large-scale processors business model, and often don't apply very well to small or startup businesses or farms. That said, each state has different requirements.

For example, Pennsylvania has an exemption for butchering up to 20,000 birds on-farm, as long as they are raised on-farm and butchered on-farm and sold direct from the farm (not re-sold at a market or store).

Quote:
Same rules here in CA.

A second option is doing some turkeys for the fall holidays, my granny does them, and then uses the profits for Christmas presents. Good for a seasonal cash boost, but not too many other times do people want a whole turkey, however... She has had orders in other months specifically for SCA feasts, where roasting a bunch of birds midsummer for a corination feast is the norm, but unless you have an "in" that's not so likely.

Quote:
What Jaku said --

Also, there are a variety of certifying organizations, but some of them are meaningless because they are not widely used or known.
The USDA defines "certified organic" if that is ever on a label.

Before you can make label claims there is a strenuous labeling checks and paperwork done to make sure you are not making untrue claims.

For example, the Food Alliance at www.foodalliance.org is doing national certification of many "sustainable" farming methods. check them out.

The best thing you can do toward any certification is keep a detailed paper trail of everything -- what feed you buy, where you buy it; what hatchery you buy from; etc etc. That is generally how you prove you are organic -- you must show the paperwork.

No, but just so you know... ducks and geese are waterfowl, and as such require an extra level of butchering -- most butchers dip them in melted wax or some such thing in order to get all the extra pinfeathers off. So, butchers charge more than typically what they would charge for other poultry. Also, if you butcher, just makes a longer butchering for the same reason.

Also, I think the market is definitely a niche market -- restaurants and high-end markets are interested in ducks and geese, more so than typical consumers (just think about the last time YOU ate duck or goose, as compared to the last time you ate chicken). You'd do best finding a restaurant that specifically wants your product or raise them for holidays specially.

Also, I knew a couple in Penna. who raised duck eggs for sale and couldn't find any markets for the eggs, despite it being a wonderful niche product.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom