Calling Oregon flock owners, Out of the six breeds which is best at foraging and getting away from p

Ruled out orpingtons(only see buff) for color.
Ruled out sulmtaler for head feathers.
Ruled out langshan for feather footed
Ruled out Wyandottes for color.
Ruled out Dorkings for color.
Left with Plymouth Rock ( good camouflage color may rule out for only having Barred Rocks) Speckled Sussex may be winner for darker color, and New Hampshire same with color still looking for forage capability instead of getting a broiler.

Ruled out sulmtaler for head feathers.
Left with Plymouth Rock ( good camouflage color may rule out for only having Barred Rocks) Speckled Sussex may be winner for darker color, and New Hampshire same with color still looking for forage capability instead of getting a broiler.
I free range exclusively here, and while I am not in Oregon, I think they are suitable for every backyard flock all over the world. They have good camoflauge, are very attentive to predators, MY line broods once per year per hen. They can be good for both meat and eggs, and lay long into their life.

Ruled out sulmtaler for head feathers.

Orpingtons, Rocks and Wyandottes come in many colors. You may have to look beyond the big hatcheries to obtain the color you want.

Barred Rocks have been a very dependable bird for me as well. You can also get Rocks in partridge color as well for the wyandottes which also come in gold laced and silver laced.

Lady of McCamley

EDITED to add: if you want a really strong forager let me encourage you to look at the Buckeye breed. I also would encourage you to get as mixed a flock as possible so that you can see which breeds fit your particular needs and goals best. I keep a well mixed flock as it achieves a good balance for the things I want. Some brood (but if you want eggs you can't have them all broody), some lay very productively but slow at 2 years, some lay less but steady longer (keeps you from having so much turn over), some are really good for winter laying, etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom