Calling Speckled, Bama, Prissy, etc...Do I have a Self Blue/Lavender?

ChicknThief

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
Nor Cal
I hatched her out of a BBS set. She is really pale, and she has no lacing whatsoever. These aren't the best pics, but I will try to get better ones...

DSCN0910.jpg

DSCN0951.jpg

Are they the same chicken or 2 different ones? They both look blue (as in andalusian blue). Very pretty girls.

Jody

If she came from BBS eggs, she's light blue. To get lavender, you'd have to have gotten her from two self-blue parents or a lav and split black (I'm not good with this lav gene-someone correct me if that's wrong)

Jess, how are Hawkeye's grandchicks? Gee, they're grown now, aren't they?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses! Ok, so that means that she cannot be a Lavender. If I put her under a black rooster will she throw darker chicks with lacing?

Cynthia! They are all doing just fine! We have tried about a bazillion times to get good shots of them but they are so darned active that the pics all come out fuzzy! I will post what we have of them once I get the pics uploaded. Look for it in a new thread...

No problem at all! I should be so ashamed that we haven't posted more of them before now! I apologize for that Cyn.
smile.png
They crack us up too! They always hang around together in a little pack. They won't even hang out with our other BRs, LOL.

Aww, those Hawkeye babies are so adorable. I love the pic of the 2 pullets face to face, like they're giving a peck (kiss).
love.gif

I do believe if you breed her to black you'll improve her lacing and should produce darker blue offspring. She is just a more diluted blue than the darker ones. I like both ends of the spectrum on blues. The light ones are just as gorgeous as the dark ones with beautiful lacing.

Jody

Quote:
This bird demonstrates why I do not like to breed blue to blue. I find it really diminishes the lacing and blue ameraucanas are supposed to have good lacing and it is pretty hard to come by.

I have been breeding blue on blue though all summer as I have found that people want splash birds. I have either sold or given away all the resulting blue chicks as I would rather not use them in my breeding program since I have better laced birds already.

I will have a splash only pen next spring and won't have to worry about it. woo hoo!!!

And, yes, in my experience with ameraucanas I believe depending on the genetics black to blue produces better lacing.

Back
Top Bottom