Callus?

BeckyBailey

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2022
I adopted this hen and she has a callus on both feet. When I first got her she looked horrible. Very tiny and for a lack of better word’s mangy. I treated her with antibiotics and wormed her and kept her separated from the others for months. She filled out, molted and is beautiful!

Neither have a scab which makes me believe it’s not bumblefoot. Best way to describe them is a large skin tag that calloused
She limps but gets around ok with the flock.
Any suggestions on how I can get rid of these?

Attachments

• 08560899-E48A-4EB4-94C9-A30186FF4BBA.jpeg
    08560899-E48A-4EB4-94C9-A30186FF4BBA.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 16
  • C1EA78AE-43A2-4208-9457-D68D190B82AD.jpeg
    C1EA78AE-43A2-4208-9457-D68D190B82AD.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Is she having any issues with walking or limping? If she is not, I would just watch it. It does look like old callous material. That could be from the material or lack of bedding in her past home. Even with bumblefoot scabs, I have seen dried up ones that have not caused redness, swelling, or limping. Those I just ignore.

Is she having any issues with walking or limping? If she is not, I would just watch it. It does look like old callous material. That could be from the material or lack of bedding in her past home. Even with bumblefoot scabs, I have seen dried up ones that have not caused redness, swelling, or limping. Those I just ignore.
She does walk with limps. I figured it would have gone away by now. I will post a video of her walking.
It looks painful.
Thank you so much for responding

It might help her some to soak her feet in warm Epsom salts water for about 20 minutes a day to try to soften the scabs. You could then try to peel off any of the calloused or scarred tissue to see if there is any pus or infection inside. It may not come off it is just scar tissue. That is pretty common treatment for bumblefoot. If you can also get a picture of her feet from the front while standing so we can see tops of her feet, that would be good.

Back
Top Bottom