Not Serious Bumblefoot - Need Rassurance

Chickin Fairy

Songster
May 13, 2023
SW Michigan, US
So... my beautiful Shuri-bird had the dreaded bumblefoot scabs on both of her feet. No other birds have them, so I'm guessing it was while free ranging. No limping, no swelling, no signs of pain... just the scabs.

I did some research and soaked her feet, wrapped her in a towel, picked off the scabs, applied vetericyn and triple antibiotic ointment, gauzed, wrapped and now she just looks pathetic. She spent the whole afternoon just lying in the dirt, not foraging. She's doing a bit better in the run. She's eating and drinking.

Her left foot was just a tiny hole when I picked off the scab. Her right foot had a larger hole and two layers of the scab (or the dirt was just caked on there). There was a bit of blood with her right foot, but no core.

Did I do the right thing? What should I do better next time? Will she be okay in the run/coop/on the roost tonight? Any reassurance or advice is welcome.

Attachments

• 20230621_152036.jpg
    20230621_152036.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 58
I've dealt with 3 bumble feet cases and did the same thing you did, it took they a bit to get used to the wraps but they were fine and healed up good. You did the right thing. You can give her some vitamins and electrolytes for an extra boost if you want.

O
I've dealt with 3 bumble feet cases and did the same thing you did, it took they a bit to get used to the wraps but they were fine and healed up good. You did the right thing. You can give her some vitamins and electrolytes for an extra boost if you want.
Thank you so much! I read this last night and it made me feel a lot better. Do I change her dressings out every few days?

She's so much better this morning. The dressings don't seem to be bugging her as much. She's even up on the bridge (photo) 🥰

Attachments

• 20230622_084118.jpg
    20230622_084118.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 20
O

Thank you so much! I read this last night and it made me feel a lot better. Do I change her dressings out every few days?

She's so much better this morning. The dressings don't seem to be bugging her as much. She's even up on the bridge (photo) 🥰
Aww she's so cute! Wait like 4 or 5 days to change it just make sure they stay on good!

Aww she's so cute! Wait like 4 or 5 days to change it just make sure they stay on good!
Red it all and I have two of the dame type of hen with Bumble foot on both feet and one of them had a big scab on the right foot that I soaked for them and took the scab off, only the second hen on the one foot bled alittle but I put Aloe and Turmeric and Coconut oil on there holes from the Bumble foot and then rapped them up, it rained today and is supposed to rain tomorrow should I change it every day or every other cause it's raining??

Red it all and I have two of the dame type of hen with Bumble foot on both feet and one of them had a big scab on the right foot that I soaked for them and took the scab off, only the second hen on the one foot bled alittle but I put Aloe and Turmeric and Coconut oil on there holes from the Bumble foot and then rapped them up, it rained today and is supposed to rain tomorrow should I change it every day or every other cause it's raining??
Sorry I didn't swear I actually typed "SAME"😬

If it looks soggy or gunky then change it, I'd say every other to be safe though

Back
Top Bottom