Calls and Cayugas 2020

Pics
Absolutely adorable! They are so very round. Do their babies need help hatching?

Sorry I took so long to reply to this! Been super busy here and then I added a hatch of chicken chicks on top of that because I must be insane. :gig

Anyway, I've never hatched out of the two of them (they're actually father and daughter), but Crash I'm pretty sure would have needed assistance if it weren't for the fact that I dropped her egg when candling it right before lockdown (hence the name Crash :p ). None of her siblings hatched, and all appeared as if they would have needed assistance, I just didn't know well enough to do so at the time. :( I've never tried again, it was just too stressful for me.

Sorry I took so long to reply to this! Been super busy here and then I added a hatch of chicken chicks on top of that because I must be insane. :gig

Anyway, I've never hatched out of the two of them (they're actually father and daughter), but Crash I'm pretty sure would have needed assistance if it weren't for the fact that I dropped her egg when candling it right before lockdown (hence the name Crash :p ). None of her siblings hatched, and all appeared as if they would have needed assistance, I just didn't know well enough to do so at the time. :( I've never tried again, it was just too stressful for me.
Neat story about how she came to be! So cool that she made it, and man, she's freaking cute.
20200607_192407.jpg
20200607_192250.jpg

They're a bit stressful, yes. My first go was a single egg, and he was an assist, and is now my little imprinted house duck, Butters. Time will tell if goes native... I'm thinking they all do eventually.

Also, you should try again! It does get better.

Neat story about how she came to be! So cool that she made it, and man, she's freaking cute.View attachment 2184110View attachment 2184111

They're a bit stressful, yes. My first go was a single egg, and he was an assist, and is now my little imprinted house duck, Butters. Time will tell if goes native... I'm thinking they all do eventually.

Also, you should try again! It does get better.
Butters is absolutely a handsome duck! Very cool that he’s a house duck too. I’m looking foreword to hatching my call’s eggs when they mature but I’m anxious about it since I’ve only incubated jumbo Pekins before. I’ve assisted quite a few ducklings before but for some reason the tiny fragile calls make me much more concerned. :confused::fl

Butters is absolutely a handsome duck! Very cool that he’s a house duck too. I’m looking foreword to hatching my call’s eggs when they mature but I’m anxious about it since I’ve only incubated jumbo Pekins before. I’ve assisted quite a few ducklings before but for some reason the tiny fragile calls make me much more concerned. :confused::fl
I was the same when I hatched out my call ducks. When they started hatching I turned into a very twitchy duck mom.

I was the same when I hatched out my call ducks. When they started hatching I turned into a very twitchy duck mom.
I’ll be exactly that! I even get nervous about my jumbo pekin ducklings. I’m hoping I’ll have a broody. Could my jumbo pekin hatch the calls or is she too heavy weight? She’s wanted babies for a long time but I don’t have a full sized drake. I fear she’d crush the eggs, would I be better off just waiting for one of my calls to go broody? I’m not as experienced with calls since I got my first ones this year but I’ve owned Pekins for 10 years and felt I should add another breed. They’re also adorable and don’t take up as much space. :D

I’ll be exactly that! I even get nervous about my jumbo pekin ducklings. I’m hoping I’ll have a broody. Could my jumbo pekin hatch the calls or is she too heavy weight? She’s wanted babies for a long time but I don’t have a full sized drake. I fear she’d crush the eggs, would I be better off just waiting for one of my calls to go broody? I’m not as experienced with calls since I got my first ones this year but I’ve owned Pekins for 10 years and felt I should add another breed. They’re also adorable and don’t take up as much space. :D
I can’t give any advice on that. I found it very rewarding to hatch in an incubator. But I had never had a broody until the beginning of June. But I have heard of Brahmas being able to hatch many different size of eggs. So I imagine that a diligent Pekin can.

My last dozen call eggs hatched themselves with nary a single assist! I stole the whole nest from mama bird because I'm a monster. They're definitely far from the show ring, but that hardiness is something I'll take.

Broody ducks are awesome, but I had 5 of 12 eggs that my last broody hen incubated die in the shell. They needed help, and they didn't get it. I decided after that, no more broodies. I stole the last nest, and have 8 in the incubator now, and there was an external pip this morning!

I can’t give any advice on that. I found it very rewarding to hatch in an incubator. But I had never had a broody until the beginning of June. But I have heard of Brahmas being able to hatch many different size of eggs. So I imagine that a diligent Pekin can.
My last dozen call eggs hatched themselves with nary a single assist! I stole the whole nest from mama bird because I'm a monster. They're definitely far from the show ring, but that hardiness is something I'll take.

Broody ducks are awesome, but I had 5 of 12 eggs that my last broody hen incubated die in the shell. They needed help, and they didn't get it. I decided after that, no more broodies. I stole the last nest, and have 8 in the incubator now, and there was an external pip this morning!
Thank you for all the help both of you! I’m thinking I’ll hatch them in my nurture right 360 or split the eggs between the pekin and the call if they’re broody, and put a couple in the incubator for my first hatch. I figure I should let them try if they want to... My Jumbo pekin goes broody all the time even though I no longer have a drake. She was determined to hatch her unfertilized eggs and wouldn’t leave the nest till I broke her she is a very serious broody. That’s really sad that some didn’t make it under the broody. Good luck with your soon to be hatchlings as well @honanbm ! :D

Back
Top Bottom