Calls and Cayugas 2021

Pics
Remember when we thought we were winning the dux wars, then the calls broke free and told the rest our plans.
714FE443-1E38-443D-A99D-9C8EAEA27F15.jpeg

@WannaBeHillBilly I understand your problem.. I've both sorts too.. Loads of eggs to make yummy things with from the Cayuga girls. And they are so so pretty and have a lovely character...
But Calls are definitely fun too!
Can you keep call ducks together with full-sized ducks, i am worried about my oversized-drakes…

Can you keep call ducks together with full-sized ducks, i am worried about my oversized-drakes…
I do, but my call drake is very much the leader of the pack.
I visited a senior breeder yesterday and he told me this:
Since he was looking for the origin of the Cayuga he crossed brother and sister for a few generations. Then he got a splash coloured Cayuga and he was so excited! he taught to have found the original color.. But when egg laying season came along the eggs were very small.. After some investigation it turned out his call drake did mate with the cayuga. Don't tell me how that's possible....
But one of my ducks (not Cayuga or Call) is definitely impregnated by my call drake this year we found out when they hatched.:) They tend to be very good at it.

You know, I think a lot of people do it.
And I would venture to say they would kind of stay in their separate groups if their drake to hen ratio was good and they had plenty of space.
I keep mine separate here.
So far it has been my experience here any time I've had any mingling that the big ducks are scared to death of the little ducks. 🤣
Like a mouse to an elephant.

Back
Top Bottom