Calls and Cayugas 2021

Pics
Oh boy. Cayuga disaster today.
The Mama's finally brought the babies out to eat and drink,
So I went to open up the roof of the house to let some air in. It's sooo hot.
Apparently people are not the only ones that like to rush the hatch.
One egg is bloody where it appears one of them pecked open the egg. Duckling is still alive but I don't have high hopes.

Another egg was apparently bad, there was evidence of yolk and gunk in a piece of shell looks like they tried to dispose of it but in the process they got all that gunky yolk all over the rest of the eggs. 🤦 Flies all over everywhere. And the ants are not far behind the flies.

So I decide to close the door and get that mess cleaned up before the ants and flies take it over.
I got a warm wash rag and try to wipe the gunk off of the eggs and cracked one myself. 😐🤬
Then I found a dead duckling off in the corner. 🥺

Well anyway I finally got the mess cleaned up and added some clean bedding.
When I opened the door to let them back in I only see four ducklings. I could swear they were six yesterday. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Either I miscounted or one has gone missing. Hopefully there's not another one dead in the house somewhere and I didn't find it.
Good lord.

So, @Pyxis it appears that little black one is feathering out like the dusky gals. So is it dusky instead of khaki?
I do have dusky girls but no Dusky Drakes.
I was thinking I had to have a dusky Drake and hen in order to get dusky offspring. Maybe one is hiding the dusky gene?
Sorry for the low lighting. But it looks just like my dusky girls so far.
20210615_183450_(1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom