Calm rooster???

TAMMACLEAN

Songster
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Maine
I am looking to get a rooster for my flock. I have 16 "regular" size hens and 2 bantam hens. I also have 3 bantam roosters. I'm just wondering if there are any roosters that are calmer than other breeds? I will be either hatching or buying a chick so I hope to raise it with the other roosters and he will "understand" who is the top rooster. Which is my little bantam rooster. Any one have any ideas for this? I do have the option of moving my little bantams to a different space if I need to. I was sort of thinking about an Orpington rooster. Like a lavender or maybe some kind of multi colored. Can't have everyone looking the same.

Most of the time it is actually the strain/lineage of rooster you get that determines calm versus the breed.

But, to make things easy since you're most likely going to get hatchery strains, the better odds are if you go with Orpingtons, Australorps, Rocks, Cochins, Brahmas, and other large breeds. Avoid Production Reds, Rhode Island Reds, Wyandottes, Leghorns, Andalusians, and Anconas. Easter Eggers are a slight gamble but a good one is worth it, considering he'll give you colored laying offspring in the future if you allow it.

Lavender Orpingtons are nice, but most won't be cheap and are over-priced considering their lack of quality. If you're looking for a rooster to make babies, he'll produce some rather bland colors since his is recessive.

If you're looking outside the hatchery stock realm good choices are, for example, Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas. I don't know what colors you have in your flock or what breeds but I always recommend getting some new egg colors in there if you plan to, and if you do, also to get a rooster in there with a color that will pass on well with most other colors. Silver or golden based colors are another great idea, such as golden duckwing Easter Eggers or Delawares.

Most of the time it is actually the strain/lineage of rooster you get that determines calm versus the breed.

But, to make things easy since you're most likely going to get hatchery strains, the better odds are if you go with Orpingtons, Australorps, Rocks, Cochins, Brahmas, and other large breeds. Avoid Production Reds, Rhode Island Reds, Wyandottes, Leghorns, Andalusians, and Anconas. Easter Eggers are a slight gamble but a good one is worth it, considering he'll give you colored laying offspring in the future if you allow it.

Lavender Orpingtons are nice, but most won't be cheap and are over-priced considering their lack of quality. If you're looking for a rooster to make babies, he'll produce some rather bland colors since his is recessive.

If you're looking outside the hatchery stock realm good choices are, for example, Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas. I don't know what colors you have in your flock or what breeds but I always recommend getting some new egg colors in there if you plan to, and if you do, also to get a rooster in there with a color that will pass on well with most other colors. Silver or golden based colors are another great idea, such as golden duckwing Easter Eggers or Delawares.
As it happens, all the first chickens you listed are what I have for girls.
smile.png
I also happen to be hatching EE eggs as well. I have been toying with the idea of getting some Ameraucanas. I'm also looking into breeding different chickens. I'm just trying to figure out what breed or breeds I want to sell.

Thanks for the advice!
big_smile.png

We have a Brown Leghorn roo and a Dominique roo. Both are acceptable, and my wife and children are not bothered. Dominique is less timid and more friendly, while Leghorn is the more traditional -looking. I would suggest leaning toward the Leghorn b/c they are lighter, eat less, I have bantams as well. Since he tries to be their roo too which I don't like, but when dominique attempts he is much heavier and Ive had to separate him due to his weight, but neither is bad or mean. good luck with your search :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom