Came home to a FLOOD in my backyard...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by arlee453, Jun 22, 2008.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Went to pick up the kids today from a sleep over at their cousin's. On the way back, stopped by and had dinner with my mom.

Left around 8:30 to come home and my hubby called to say that it was raining really really hard at the house and to take my time getting home.

When we got home, as I'm coming down the main road, I see limbs down all over the place, trees split. I turned down my road and see several trees down almost across the road, and a TORRENT of water running down the street.

We live on 5 acres, with a creek running through the property to the left of our house. We've been here 14+ years and NEVER NEVER NEVER had the creek come out of the banks.

When I rounded the end of the drive I see our side yard and realize there is no creek bank anymore - the creek is out of the banks and in our yard.

I run out to check on the animals. The chickens have some high ground in their run , so they are all soaked but OK. The baby chicks (6 wks) were too stupid to get into their shelter and they are chilled and soaked, but on high ground at least.

I went out and water is flowing IN the outbuilding. My very geriatric ouside dog is up to her elbows in flood water. I pulled her in the building into the kennel run in there.

Then out to check the peafowl - they are knee deep in water all through their run and in their shelter too. I holler for my daughter to bring the drill so I can put their perch back up (I took it down for nesting season). So, I get their perch back up i nside the shelter, and pick up the very wet peafowl and get them on the perch out of the flood water. Of course they weren't so thrilled about that, so I got flogged with soggy peapoop filled flood water all over me... [​IMG]

Then back out to get the baby chicks in. They are 6 wks old, but as I said before very stupid and soggy at this point. So, DD and I collected them all up and put inside the building back in the brooder again with a heat lamp for the night.

A quick check on the guinea pigs - they are soaking wet, but out of the flood water, so OK for now. (they have a predator proof run they live in like a little fence on the ground)

Whew...all present and accounted for... no losses but everyone is totally bedraggled and soaked.

Bad news is our garden is completely washed away. It was just a little tiny plot of corn and beans, But the kids were so proud of it, and our beans were just about the bloom. I'm sure there will be nothing left when the water receeds - it was running though there really fast. Also we lost a few big limbs off trees, and one of our apple trees totally blew over.

And it's raining hard....now.... again... :|

Whew - what a night's excitement! At least I know that everyone is up off the ground and should be safe for the night.

It is just a flash flood here. It give me a real perspective on what those folks are going through with the levees breaking along the Mississippi. I really have nothing to complain about - even if it is record high water levels for us - our home is dry and the animals are all safe and sound.

My hubby took some pics - I'll have to post them when he gets them downloaded off the cam.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Wow, you sure have had an eventful evening. SO SORRY!! I am glad you got there in time to save your animals. Keep us posted.

3. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Wow! It sounds like you got LOTS of rain. I'm glad that you, your family, your animals, and your house are is ok! Last year we got about 2 straight days of rain which made our whole neighborhood flood. Everybody was outside wearing rainboots looking around and checking on each other to make sure they were ok. The ground was soggy for weeks and some houses got water damage, but that is one day I'll NEVER forget. It's strange how sometimes bad events can end up being fun and how you never forget it...

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Soggy, wet birds is no fun at all. Glad to read they are all safe though. A huge part of my garden washed away here to from rains 2 weeks ago. I can sympathize. I have to replant a huge portion of it. I hope all is better in the light of mrning. Those creek waters can receed quickly.

5. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Sorry about your land flooding. Glad nobody was hurt. There has been flash flood warning here to, the river about a mile down the road from us is over the banks now. So far we have only got 1 1/2, but it is still raining pretty hard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2008
  6. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

:hugsWell this sounds so stressful.:| I hope your creek goes back done quickly. It sounds like you were supercrittermama! Nice rescuing!

Good luck.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Oh Jeeze, Arlee...I would've been freaking out...

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Thanks guys... It is STILL raining and the radar shows more heading this way, but at least not the really major heavy downpour type rain.

I'm just glad I got here before dark so I could put eveyone up out of the water. Hoping daylight will show the creek back where it belongs and everything drying out again!

9. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Glad you got them all put up. We got hit up here too, but not as badly as that. I STILL lost two chicks! We had hail for about 20 min. straight. There was no going out and picking them up in it either. By the time we went to check on everyone, we'd lost two of the 2 month old barred rocks. [​IMG] Bummer! All my broilers got wet that I had put outside just for a VISIT (they are about 9 days old) along with four poults, but I brought them in and dried them off. They are ok. I wonder if we'll get more of that water up here. We could use it still.
    I'm sorry about the garden too. Snow peas are a good "fall" plant and grow with fast results if the kids end up wanting to try again soon?

Stacy

10. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I hope all will be well. What scares me about flash flooding creeks is the debris that they may bring with them. Your poor babies out there all wet. [​IMG] I wouldnt sleep a wink tonight if it were me.[​IMG] I'd be so nervous!

I feel bad for the kids too and their lost garden. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by