came home to my first casualty....

zumachicks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
hi - i'm BRAND new here and devastated! i just got home to find that one of my 21 day old chicks had pecked the other to death...i only had two. i feel terrible, like i let her down. i was obsessed with doing everything right! i noticed early on that the one that died was smaller and skinnier...could this have something to do with it??
sad.png
thanks in advance for any feedback...

Welcome to the board!

Are you sure one picked the other to death? Usually if there are just two, they become great buddies because they don't have anyone to gang up with. You say it was skinny though? Was it getting enough to eat? How much smaller? Could it have had a genetic mal absorption problem that lead to it's death, and then it's brooder mate decided to eat it?

Sorry for your loss and hope you can find help and answers on the board!

Ya know I feel the best way to deal with this sadness is to go to a feed store and buy up about 10 or so chicks!
tongue.png
lol.png

First of all they will make you feel tons better and make you smile as they chirp just for you, and next you will have a buddy for your lonley one and then you can be a family once again.

I have had a chick die on me and I understand how much it sucks...
sad.png

But cheer up!
There are more babies out there that have hatched that need your love!
love.gif

WELCOME to the BYC forum!!!

hi - thanks for the posts. i'm sure the other was pecked...she had about five raw spots (oh, it's so terrible i can hardly write it) about the size of almonds...and she was not that much smaller, but a tad...i would watch them both eat and drink and in fact i always thought Didi (the unlucky one) was actually more forceful about getting her food first...it use to make me giggle...but now, not so funny.

I read on another site that maybe they get bored and once they draw blood, they will peck until one meets it's dimise?? Does this make any sense? I'm unsure what to say to my three year old when she wakes up...I think i need to run and get another one exactly the same...and still call her Didi??? yikes. i have another older bantam...i got these as pals for her as well...i'm just so sad about it.

Hmm. I would still be prone to think the other one died first and then the living one pecked it. That seems like a normal chicken thing, at least more so normal. They will start pecking on each other is confined areas but I wouldnt think that would occur with chicks. I would keep that in mind .......

Sorry about your loss either way. Its heartbreaking.
sad.png

Last edited:
Welcome! This is a great place-so much great information, and terrific compassion for the bad things that happen, like the loss of your chick. I'm so sorry that happened.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I too just had one of my hens die yesterday. I only had her for 5mo. I TOTALLY understand about feeling like it's your fault if something goes wrong. That's how I feel right now. So, know that you are definately not alone.
hugs.gif

Thanks chickaroo. May I ask how she died...I need to learn what I can do...if anything...? I'm SO sorry...

Maybe Didi did die first and the pecking started, but she seemed just fine! Is it wise to place a new bird in with her the same age????

Back
Top Bottom