1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

camera in a chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken farmer8, Feb 21, 2014.

1. chicken farmer8

chicken farmer8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2014
    I live 1/8th of a mile away from my chicken coop it is about the size of a medium sized shed and I was wondering if any body has tried mounting a security camera in their coop so you can check on them during the day. I am wanting to get a good deal but I don't want nothing cheep if you know what I mean. thanks for any suggestions

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Lots of folks use coop cams

try this:
    Advanced search>titles only> coop cam

3. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana

Your 1/8 mile distance will be the biggest challenge and especially if you do not have electric in the coop. There are many various systems and the majority of the wireless cameras work best within a few hundred feet. At your distance, a wireless 2.4 or 5.8 GHz camera setup will be needed and I would recommend a 2 or 3 mile range system even though you only need 1/8 mile. Often times the max. distance ratings are only in optimal or ideal conditions. Battery powered and solar powered cameras have disappointing results so power in the coop will greatly improve your results and options.

4. chicken farmer8

Jan 13, 2014
    ok thankyou I do have electricity in my coop and I will look for a long range camera thankyou for your help

5. chicken farmer8

Jan 13, 2014
    thanks for this link it has a lot of good suggestions

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I don't have cams IN the coop but I have cams facing toward my chicken yard, so I can see what they are doing when they are walking in the chicken yard and on the property.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by