1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

camper for a coop looking for ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ksbritton, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ksbritton

ksbritton Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Hubbardston
    We are getting an older 26 foot travel trailer that has leaked to use for a coop! The leak was found and sealed and I am going to clean up any mold I find from where it leaked. I am looking for any tips or advice from any one that has used a camper for a coop before. I have a bunch of leftover exterior paint from other projects and think I have enough to paint it red to look like a barn even. There are a ton of neat painted campers online to give me ideas, but I am not finding much for the inside. It has linoleum throughout so thats a plus, and once I take out the couch, dinnette and bed it will be about ready. I am thinking about sectioning off the bedroom as a growout area. Can't wait to get out there and get started just need the weather to behave...

1 person likes this.
  2. peeper89

peeper89 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    [​IMG] i want see how this goes

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read....MORE Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I can't wait to see how this goes too.
    [​IMG]

4. Sristi

Sristi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    Western NY
    I had a little old camper, around 12', that came with our house. I ripped out the fridge and used the hinged propane access panel behind it as my pop door. When I pulled off the sofa cushions, I found that the seat base was a wooden box with slats across. Roosts! I used another box seat as a dust box. The birds laid their eggs in the sink. It was a great little coop for no money. Unfortunately the bottom was rotted out and buried in the forest floor, and a weasel got in and killed my flock of Brahmas. So do make sure the floor is sound[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. ksbritton

Apr 12, 2016
    Hubbardston
    [​IMG]picked up the camper! Very excited to start working on it

2 people like this.
  6. ksbritton

Apr 12, 2016
    Hubbardston
    [​IMG] The boxed in area is
    the new grow out area! Going to wall off with wire from there with a door so I can go between the 2 areas. Just need roosts and nesting boxes for bigger chickens out of the lumber we salvaged from gutting it.

7. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read....MORE Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Awesome..
    you aren't wasting anytime!

Congrats.

1 person likes this.
  8. peeper89

peeper89 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    [​IMG] i like it