Camper-to-Coop Conversion

ChickyLulu

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2021
Afton, MN
Just bought this gutted old camper off FB marketplace and would love some input on a coop conversion.

My main question is: how much venting should I add, if any? The camper is 8’ x 12’. We have 8 chickens (to start). Windows in the front and back can crack open (I will replace traditional screens with hardware cloth) and there is also a screen door. But should venting be higher up? If so, how much and where should I put it? (I was thinking it could go above the three-paned window in the back.) We live in MN where it’s very cold in the winter so want to avoid draftiness.

I am going to add a roost on the side with the long single-paned window. The nesting boxes will go on the opposite end, where there is a little door that opens up.

Any additional thoughts or ideas?
IMG_5874.jpeg
IMG_5875.jpeg
IMG_5876.jpeg
IMG_5877.jpeg
IMG_5879.jpeg
IMG_5880.jpeg
IMG_5883.jpeg

Last edited:
Could you figure out how to add a bit of roof?

Looking at it. .. I would add a roof that came off of what is already there, and bring it out 12 feet for a covered run.

20210515_182945.jpg

So... where I put the blue line. The new roof would have to be just above the old roof, and then extend it forward.

Then, underneath the new run roof you could open up as much wall as you want for ventilation as it will now be protected.

Also, with long cold and snowy winters you want a HUGE coop, or a roofed and sheltered run. Or give them access to a greenhouse....

Otherwise they will go stir crazy in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom