Campine Chicken thread?

They're from 2016.
I like them but they're also not perfect, although thanks for all the compliments.
some of the hens have really ugly combs and the rooster's tail is too horizontal.
the hens also lack some elegance and should stand more regal on their legs. For me personally they look too plump, too much like a Braekel.

They're from 2016.
I like them but they're also not perfect, although thanks for all the compliments.
some of the hens have really ugly combs and the rooster's tail is too horizontal.
the hens also lack some elegance and should stand more regal on their legs. For me personally they look too plump, too much like a Braekel.

I noted the larger hens that's why I asked their age. Do Brakels and Campines get bred together much in Europe? Here are my juveniles roosting this evening. I just noticed how they separated themselves by sex! :)

I noted the larger hens that's why I asked their age. Do Brakels and Campines get bred together much in Europe? Here are my juveniles roosting this evening. I just noticed how they separated themselves by sex!
smile.png

@Drieslag These are off of some adults that I raised.

@abbevilleoz I really wish you were closer and we were not under restrictions. I have some really nice birds that are going to the table and I would give them to you if I could.

I noted the larger hens that's why I asked their age. Do Brakels and Campines get bred together much in Europe? Here are my juveniles roosting this evening. I just noticed how they separated themselves by sex!
smile.png

As far as I know Brakels and Campines are not bred together. Untill recently they had only Brakels in Belgium, Holland and Germany. In the UK and Ireland they have mostly Campines. And in Scandinavia both breeds can be found.

The henfeathering trait is also not wanted in Brakels and is a dominant trait on top. So mixing the breeds is not obvious.

And don't forget there also many other pencilled breeds in this small piece of Europe, such as the Chaams, Hamburg, Westfalian Totleger, Poule d'Hergnies, ...

As far as I know Brakels and Campines are not bred together. Untill recently they had only Brakels in Belgium, Holland and Germany. In the UK and Ireland they have mostly Campines. And in Scandinavia both breeds can be found.

The henfeathering trait is also not wanted in Brakels and is a dominant trait on top. So mixing the breeds is not obvious.

And don't forget there also many other pencilled breeds in this small piece of Europe, such as the Chaams, Hamburg, Westfalian Totleger, Poule d'Hergnies, ...

I think we're just getting a few Brakels here in the States. Greenfire Farms has started carrying the Totlegers.

I have two Campine hens, Henna and Re'etta. Also have 4 Auaramericannas. Re'etta rules the roost completely. I took her to the county fair to the animal bldg. and handed out info about Campines to all "viewers". My CSA's are so happy to get one white egg and one blue egg in each dozen. (the other eggs are from our farm birds). I'm happy with my rare birds at home in our sub division and, fortunately, our neighbors are ok with it.

Back
Top Bottom