Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
You're right, my Campine pullets may be Hf/hf, but that would mean that the last years by chance normal feathered Campines should have popped up. In the early 1900s that was often the case, but I thought that all hf genes had been bred out since then. Or culled.

There may be lots of homozygous hf/hf Chaams chickens running around, only problem is they look exactly like their sisters. All hens are hen feathered ;)
The Chaams breeders have been slowly pushing out the henfeathering for the last ten years, just as the Campine breeders did with the normal feathering when they started out. A work that may take some time.

Anyhow, I'm following up on your advice and will start a breeding line with my two Campine chickens and the henfeathered Chaams roo. I will let you all know how it works out and post a picture of the cockerel once I got it.

PS: this Chaams cockerel has a marbled eye, something which normal for Campines in the past apparently. Has anyone ever heard about this before??

I don't know about the marbling, but the eye color is unfortunately too common in Campines here in the states. I had a Golden cock that had that eye color. Here, it is one of many indications that people have not been culling to meet SOP. APA requires a large and very dark eye.

I have a few cockerels with eyes like that, I kind of like it. Its an interesting color. Above, thats a nice cock! I like his head, he is very well balanced!

Dilemma or down right luck?!

As you might know, there are nomore Campines on the European continent. Plus, they are extremely hard to come by since UK breeders normally won't post across the channel. But I did manage to get my hands on 6 eggs which resulted in 2 nice young Campine chicks. But no roo :(

However! I just got a mail from the president of the club for the Chaams chicken (a breed that is perhaps even closer to the Campine than the Brakel) and he is offering me a Chaams cockerel that turned out henfeathered with bars 1/3 white 2/3 black. And he is a bit smaller than the rest of the Chaams chickens.

Reason for this is that the Chaams was almost extinct and in the past its sisters and brothers Campine and Brakels got mixed in. More info about the Chaams breed - in English ! - can be found on this page, http://www.chaamshoen.nl/index.php?id=68. Below I also added a map that indicates the areas where the Chaams (in green) and the Campine (in red) used to roam.

So my question for all you is: is it fair to label this cockerel as a Campine? And if so, can I breed it to my Campine chicks next year?

Further below there's a picture of a henfeathered Chaams roo from two years ago. Except for its messy barring, it's everything going for itself, full chest (too white though), low tail angle, nice sprigs, beautiful white neck, ... I guess a lot of Campinists would like to have a bird like that. What's your opinion?

Those look like nice birds, but I would really watch for my males growing saddle feathers. I've had problems with that in the past and that was without breeding a non hen-feathered breed into my line. But the advice others have given seems good, keep that line separate. Good luck and make sure to post pictures!

Those look like nice birds, but I would really watch for my males growing saddle feathers. I've had problems with that in the past and that was without breeding a non hen-feathered breed into my line. But the advice others have given seems good, keep that line separate. Good luck and make sure to post pictures!

I'll keep it all in mind, just hope it won't set me further back.
These are the pullets I will breed with next year. They're 10 weeks old, I got them from an English breeder.

For all of you who show campines: How do y'all wash campines? Does anybody use bluing on silvers for the hackles? Or maybe whitening dog shampoo? I'm not too worried about the golds.

Can't wait for my first show with campines!!!

For birds with a lot of white, I use Tide Liquid with Whitener (blueing). Just don't use too much or leave it on too long. You can give a blue cast to the feathers. Always include some white vinegar in your rinse water.

Good luck, campines are impressive on the show table.

I'll keep it all in mind, just hope it won't set me further back.
These are the pullets I will breed with next year. They're 10 weeks old, I got them from an English breeder.

you can import Campines from England??? how do you do that and how do you afford it? from what I understand it's rather expensive?

even if you're in belgium it's expensive
hmm.png

from the 18 eggs I ordered (3 batches of 6), only 12 made it to my adress and of those 12 only 2 were fertile.
2 out of 18, not a good average, is it...
although these 2 eggs did result in the first Campines in the Campine region since perhaps the 1930s, so let's say it was worth it

an option to cut expedition costs is to take eggs home with you in your hand luggage, if you'd be flying from the UK or wherever, although it's not altogether allowed

Having said so, my sister's flying over from the States (NYC) in the beginning of September.
So, if there is anyone with some Silver Campine eggs, I'd be very happy to have them!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom