Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
And some old Campine art by Belgian landscape and animal painter Frans Van Severdonck (1809-1889).

Watch the two chickens in the background.

This is what Cathy Gleason emailed me:

"Silver with silver gives only silver offspring but silver on gold will give both sexes. I know with a ssilver hen and a gold male you will get just gold pullets and silver cockerels. With a gold hen and silver male I beilve the rule is both sexes again but gold males are rare out of that color cross. Keep track and see if you come out with simulair results. When silver chicks hatch and fluff-don't be shocked they tend to have a lot of brownish on their head as gold chicks are very zig zaged in coloring. Kinda crazy!"

I have a question. What would the chicks look like if you crossed a silver campine rooster with a golden campine hen?

Campines as with any other Gold/Silver pairing are sexlinked for the first generation. With a silver male and a golden female you will get Silver Pullets and Golden Cockerels. If the cross has been done in the past on the birds you use you may get some outliers depending on the genetic make up of the male.

Back
Top Bottom