Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
HI

I just found this thread......Campines are my favorite breed....I have 8 other breeds, too. Ok, I only have one pullet, Heidi, but she's our favorite.
I'm happy that there are other folks who agree!

Glad you found the thread....they are great birds and under appreciated. Does anyone know of a source for high quality campines? The golden roos I got have pointy saddle feathers -- a disqualification if showing, and therefore shouldn't be part of a breeding program IMO. One of my silver roos also has pointy saddle feathers, and the silvers of that line don't seem as hardy as they should be. So, I need a source for some high quality birds, at the very least goldens.....anyone know of one?

Here's a picture of the bird with the DQ feathers.....
50716_campinesaddle.jpg

50716_acampine.jpg

50716_034.jpg

And a couple of the silvers...........
50716_silvercampine.jpg

50716_campineshen.jpg

keedokes......love that flying picture -- looks like a feathery bat!

Quote:
Well, that makes sense.....green legs, red earlobes, and cream colored egg definitely = crossbred background. Red earlobe doesn't have to mean dark brown. The white of the campine probably diluted the egg color from whatever the campine was originally crossed to.

60454_scout_9-18.jpg

This is my pullet (I hope, I have no idea how you tell with a Campine - any ideas out there?) Scout at almost 10 weeks. It is very hard to get a picture of her because she is always on the move. She is the smallest of my 7 chicks -- GLW, EE, PR, Delaware (2), Welsummer, but seems to be toward the top of the pecking order.

Quote:
Well, there is a line of banty golden campines out there (from Texas I think). On the other hand, she could be a gold spangled hamburg or a buttercup, I can't see the comb well enough to tell. Each of these breeds comes in bantam size but each has a distinctive comb. Campines should have a single comb, hamburgs a rose comb, and buttercups a unique cup shaped comb. She could just be a mutt I suppose, but the coloring certainly indicates one of the above 3 breeds.

ETA: Campines are on the small side anyway. Full grown a large fowl campine hen will weigh about 4 lbs. and a bantam hen 22 oz.

Last edited:
Quote:
Look at the picture of my silver hen above. She has some saddle feathers, but her comb is small. In this pictures she was about 13 weeks old. Same with the roosters pictured in the same post. The comb of yours in the pic looks larger than my hen's, but smaller than the roo's. My roos started crowing at 7 weeks or in the next couple of weeks after. Just from your picture, it's kinda hard to tell, but my guess is pullet....no waddles and a small, merely pink comb, and no crowing. Let us know?

Last edited:
I was wondering about those saddle feathers, but she/he has such dainty blue feet that I was questioning the feathers. So is any comb at all (at 10 weeks) an indication of a roo?

(edit to add) She usually has her tail upright, too. Is that any sort of indicator?

She is my odd man out, so's to speak (size, temperment). I can keep a roo if one of them turns out to be male. What can you tell me about Campine roos in general?

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom