Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
Hi! We have 3 Campines. A gold hen and a silver hen, and a silver rooster. Can I cross the gold and silver and get true colors or will they *mix*? I read that if I have a gold roo they'll be sex-link, but sadly my roo is silver.

Anyone know what my results will be?

ETA : Correction - Scroll to post #722 for correct information. This was left for comparison.

If you cross a Silver male with a gold female, all the female chicks will be silver and all the male chicks will be gold. It doesn't work the other way around. Here is the genetic reason for that.

Male = ZZ
Female = ZW

Gold = G (dominant)
Silver = s (recessive)
-carried only on the Z chromosome

(*note that gold is actually "s" not "G"
*note that silver is actually "S" not "s"
these are used this way here for ease of understanding)

Silver cock> Z (s) Z (s)
Gold hen
Z(G) Z(G)Z(s) Z(G)Z(s)
W - Z(s)W(-) Z(s)W(-)

50% Gold males with recessive silver gene
50% Silver females

Gold cock> Z (G) Z (G)
Silver hen
Z(s) Z(G)Z(s) Z(G)Z(s)
W - Z(G)W(-) Z(G)W(-)

50% Gold males with recessive silver gene
50% Gold females

I am doing this on a desktop so if it looks strange on your phone, and you can't look at it on a larger screen, let me know. I'll do it over, but you can likely fill it out on paper and see the diagram.

SO...

Chicks from your gold hen will be sex-linked, (and the resulting gold males will carry a recessive silver gene,) and all the chicks from your silver hen will be silver.

Last edited:
If you cross a Silver male with a gold female, all the female chicks will be silver and all the male chicks will be gold.
Hi Wisher, I sort of got the same info from the Chaams club. They have a schedule on their site that says this:

PARENTS MALE
Silver Impure Silver Gold
FEMALE Silver Silver 50% Silver 50% Silver 25% Silver 25% Gold 50% Impure Silver 50%
Gold 25% Impure Silver 25% Gold 50% Gold 50%
Gold Silver 50% Impure Silver 50% Silver 25% Impure Silver 25%
Gold 25% Gold 25%

female offspring male offspring female offspring male offspring female offspring male offspring

"Impure Silver" to them means you can't see it's impure, but if you would use any of the roos from that line, you might end up contaminating further lines. Contaminating means that in a silver breeding line you run the risk of birds having a yellowish sheen in their white feathers.

Is this correct? Have you seen this before?

Quote:
That chart is confusing to me. I studied the Punnett tables, and I am more comfortable with them. Maybe Impure Silver is just a misleading name, but I don't understand how it can be both silver and impure. If both the Gold (G) and Silver (s) are present, the bird will look gold and has to be a male. .....which, now that I look at it seems to be what that chart is saying........ You have to keep it straight whether you are talking about phenotype (what the feathers tell you) or genotype (what the chromosomes tell you.)

I, too, have read that crossing the varieties can produce silver birds with brassy feathers, but I believe that would have to come from some other allele that is modifying the phenotype, possibly carried on the W chromosome, which would mean it would only show up in the females. That is purely conjecture on my part, though.

Last edited:
I am just learning this stuff, myself. I am not saying they are wrong. I just don't fully understand how the gold would transfer to the silver if the gold presents itself as dominant. I could understand it better if the gold leaked some silver, but not the other way around.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom