Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
i posted mine yesterday, but haven't seen any commentary yet -- and am new to the CSU thread, so not quite sure how it works? it's been a very quiet weekend there...

i posted mine yesterday, but haven't seen any commentary yet -- and am new to the CSU thread, so not quite sure how it works? it's been a very quiet weekend there...
It's not primarily a photo thread.

It's about discussion of keeping and breeding toward the SOP. The photos are great, but only if they include discussion, questions, opinions, answers, struggles and the like.

With participation, the units last a long time. Without it? They get closed rather quickly and the university moves on to another breed.

Last edited:
It's not primarily a photo thread.

It's about discussion of keeping and breeding toward the SOP. The photos are great, but only if they include discussion, questions, opinions, answers, struggles and the like.

With participation, the units last a long time. Without it? They get closed rather quickly and the university moves on to another breed.

aha -- i've only had my campines for a month or two, and they're not yet at point of lay, so i'm afraid i don't know enough yet to ask good questions! but will do my best to think of some...

thanks for the plug, but what is sorely needed is breeding expertise. That is very much needed over on CSU in this unit.

Thanks to all who can help.

Fred

G'day Fred,

I once posted a link to a paper, in this forum, that I wrote on Campines and as far as I am aware only one or two people looked at it. I've only been breeding them since the 1950's, so maybe I am too inexperienced, or perhaps it's the fact that I am not in the USA.

Kind regards,

Ross

G'day Fred,

I once posted a link to a paper, in this forum, that I wrote on Campines and as far as I am aware only one or two people looked at it. I've only been breeding them since the 1950's, so maybe I am too inexperienced, or perhaps it's the fact that I am not in the USA.

Kind regards,

Ross

lau.gif

Well Ross, jump right back in there and critique some of the birds posted. Offer the people some guidance and encouragement.

G'day Fred,

Kind regards,

Ross

could you possibly post it again? i'd love to see it (and am fairly new to the thread, so probably missed its first posting when i tried to read back through earlier discussions)

Last edited:
G'day Fred,

I once posted a link to a paper, in this forum, that I wrote on Campines and as far as I am aware only one or two people looked at it. I've only been breeding them since the 1950's, so maybe I am too inexperienced, or perhaps it's the fact that I am not in the USA.

Kind regards,

Ross

Could you please link again? I'd love to see this. You're not in US, but are standards close to the same? Pattern wise, with so much variation called for in the different sections of the bird, do you have any tips or hints to share that might help one make progress in this area? In your experiences are there any unique quirks to the breed that we wouldn't expect or is everything fairly straight forward and as it appears?

G'day again from Australia,

Below is a link to the paper that I recently presented as part of a Power Point presentation on Campines.
It is Australian based but I trust you may enjoy it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u.../Campine Presentation Notes FCAQ.TextMark.pdf

I hope the link works for you.

Kind regards,

Ross
G'day,

This is the post #295 in the Campine Section where I added the link to my paper called "The Charm of the Campine". In there I mainly cover my involvement, the Australian Standards (which is basically similar to the British Standards and very similar to the American Standards) some feather identifiers to check male hen feathering against normal males feathers, and many other minor aspects.

I just tested the link and it works fine but as it is an 8 x A4 page paper it is 6.59mb, so be patient while it downloads.

It has been suggested to me that I also seek to join the CSU forum, but then I read that someone in there reckons he can teach anyone to judge Campines in an hour. I've kept them for well over 50 years, on and off, and have judged them all over Australia, plus the USA and have seeked them out in Belgium and the UK and I'm still learning how to judge them.
A few years ago we had a group of American poultry enthusiastic visit breeders and shows here in Australia and several visited our farm to look at the Campines (and other breeds). They all wanted to take back fertile eggs to the USA, but of course that is illegal.

Down here in Australia I've also participated in "Breed The Breeds" as a speaker where we discuss the Campine (and other breeds) in a seminar situation using Power-Point presentations. That paper that you can download is the one we handed out earlier this year. One of the others speakers and I are booked for a weekend in August 2014 to do a Seminar presentation and then judge the next day at a very big show in the ACT.

Good luck with it and kind regards,

Ross

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom