Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
What is a "D'Espagne"? Actually, a translation of the whole list would be helpful, although some are obvious.
Malaise = malay game; de bruges = bruges game; ... all the rest is pretty selfexplicatory. And looking at the weights of some of these birds, I'm guessing they're mostly game breeds. So d'Espagne probably is the Spanish game fowl.
Bédouine, Constantine, ... sounds like african chicken breeds, but which ones??

Hi

I have silver campine pullet, but am unsure as to her age. She was sold to me as 'approaching POL', but I think she's younger than I first thought. What do you think? Also, at what age to campine pullets usually develop their combs?

Thanks for any answers.

I'm guessing they're about 11 to 13 weeks old.
Watch my youtubechannel where I've been recording my Campines' development on a weekly basis and since short twoweekly.

Hi I have silver campine pullet, but am unsure as to her age. She was sold to me as 'approaching POL', but I think she's younger than I first thought. What do you think? Also, at what age to campine pullets usually develop their combs? Thanks for any answers.
I think she is hamburg or something like that as she appears to have a rose pea comb or is that the pic

That is interesting. I can't help you on the egg weights right now, but if you can wait till spring, I'll get you some data then.
Thanks.
Also note that the Campine in the list above probably is the Belgian, old style, non-henfeathering Campine.
Plus, look at the hen's weight, 1.7 kg vs 2.3 kg today. And laying 50 gram eggs.
This is exactly why the Campine originally was such an attractive bird: hardy, great forager, laying many and large eggs for a small bird.

I think she is hamburg or something like that as she appears to have a rose pea comb or is that the pic
a Hamburg should be barred evenly black and silver/gold, this is more a Campine barring 3 to 1
the eye is also very dark for a Hamburg
I'd say Campine and 11 to 13 weeks old!

Last edited:
Hi

I have silver campine pullet, but am unsure as to her age. She was sold to me as 'approaching POL', but I think she's younger than I first thought. What do you think? Also, at what age to campine pullets usually develop their combs?

Thanks for any answers.

I would say thats a hamburg pullet, not campine, the comb gives it away as not being campine

I would say thats a hamburg pullet, not campine, the comb gives it away as not being campine
hm, not convinced yet, keep us posted on the outcome!

anyhow, is there anybody out there with laying hens?
i'd be interested to know the average weight of about 10 Campine eggs.

Plus, what shape are the eggs? round or oval?

Back
Top Bottom