Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
hm, not convinced yet, keep us posted on the outcome!

anyhow, is there anybody out there with laying hens?
i'd be interested to know the average weight of about 10 Campine eggs.

Plus, what shape are the eggs? round or oval?

i have two campine pullets who have just started accepting the boys' attempts at mating, so it seems that eggs are imminent -- but none have arrived yet. their combs are small but dark red and upright, nothing like the photo...

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree, the comb is not right on that pullet for a campine (sorry, I was away and just read this).

I'll weigh some eggs, my goldens and silvers are both laying well and fully mature.

Their eggs are typical, not round at all.

What do you all think of my gold hen

Her barring is not correct, she appears to be heavy bodied, her tail is not held correctly (needs more spread), her legs and eyes are both lighter than I would look for.

But I'm sure she'll be a good layer of lots of large eggs for you. Pretty bird none the less.

Hi

I have silver campine pullet, but am unsure as to her age. She was sold to me as 'approaching POL', but I think she's younger than I first thought. What do you think? Also, at what age to campine pullets usually develop their combs?

Thanks for any answers.

Thanks for your replies so far... Here are two more pics of her comb. It does look like a pea comb, so I guess she's not a campine. Will have to wait and see for certain, once the comb has developed further. Something like this happening makes keeping them even more interesting than it already is
smile.png

I agree, the comb is not right on that pullet for a campine (sorry, I was away and just read this).

I'll weigh some eggs, my goldens and silvers are both laying well and fully mature.

Their eggs are typical, not round at all.

Her barring is not correct, she appears to be heavy bodied, her tail is not held correctly (needs more spread), her legs and eyes are both lighter than I would look for.

But I'm sure she'll be a good layer of lots of large eggs for you.  Pretty bird none the less.

I have a little secret, she is more gold friesian, the thing is I got 4 friesian eggs of my neighbour and all hatched, two chamois Roos a chamois hen and then this little girl, now the rooster my neighbour has has a small amount of gold campine in him so she is a throw back to that, so basically she is both gold campine and gold friesian, I'm hoping that I can breed a gold roo from her and have my own little flock of them as well

my first guess! this chick is much too light to be a campine.
friesians feathers don't have straight bars from end to end.
they're like this

and the roosters are not henfeathered, but you might get it in the offspring

and this is also why i'm sure the silver pencilled pullet above does have some campine blood, i reckon it is too dark for a friesian or hamburg

Last edited:
my first guess! this chick is much too light to be a campine. friesians feathers don't have straight bars from end to end. they're like this and the roosters are not henfeathered, but you might get it in the offspring and this is also why i'm sure the silver pencilled pullet above does have some campine blood, i reckon it is too dark for a friesian or hamburg
Good guess. I know about the hen feathering in the camp and roo in the friesians,I'm hoping that I can breed them, my neighbour also got a throw back but I don't know what gender.

to me they're all one big pencilled family!
Campines, Braekels, Hamburgs, Friesians, Westphalian Deadlayers, Grise de Bresse, Hergnies, the Groninger, the Assendelfter, the Zottegem and the Chaams.

any points on my English Campines? 15 weeks old
primary wing feathers are very white obviously

Back
Top Bottom