Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
Ya well... La Flèche broke that landmark 40 years ago :p

Any luck yet with the eggs?

Very cute, Daniel. Ha Ha, very funny. That comment would be pertinent if it were on the La Flèche thread! (Sorry, buddy, couldn't help picking back at you a little!)
No luck on the eggs yet. I have a timer for supplemental lights but haven't had the chance to get them hooked up. The others at my place are slowly but surely giving me a few more eggs each week. I hope to see porceline white eggs in the nest boxes real soon!

Very cute, Daniel. Ha Ha, very funny. That comment would be pertinent if it were on the La Flèche thread! (Sorry, buddy, couldn't help picking back at you a little!)
No luck on the eggs yet. I have a timer for supplemental lights but haven't had the chance to get them hooked up. The others at my place are slowly but surely giving me a few more eggs each week. I hope to see porceline white eggs in the nest boxes real soon!

my two silver campine girls haven't re-started laying yet either -- although they are gradually more accepting of their younger boyfriend (he's just about 6 months old, so he's a little behind them), so hoping that's an indication of things moving in the egg direction. and they LOVE chasing the cats! one flew halfway across the meadow this morning in hot pursuit of my black cat...

How am I doing? I'll post some more later!

Preston

Very Nice, Preston!

How many Silvers do you have?  Are you hatching eggs this season?  How many SCs are you planning to raise this spring? 

They already come in a bantam version!

My stock:

Silvers
- 1 cockerel soon to be cock bird
- 1 pullet

Golds
- 2 hens
- 2 pullets

I breed the silver male to gold females to get some of both colors. I'm still small (got them early last summer) but hoping to breed quite a bit this spring!

The reason I asked about campine bantams is because I don't know of any in the US. I know people have bred large fowl breed x with bantam breed y and over time develop bantam breed x. Do you know of anybody with bantams? I may be interested!

Preston

I have never had an interest in bantams of any type, I'm a LF girl! BUT, with that said, I have noticed several people on here mention Campine Bantams and I think I saw some in the Poultry Press but I don't remember which issue it was in.

I really only want the Silvers, but I might get a few Goldens to play with since they seem to be so much further along in type than the Silvers.

Are you breeding anything else or are you only doing Campines?

I have never had an interest in bantams of any type, I'm a LF girl! BUT, with that said, I have noticed several people on here mention Campine Bantams and I think I saw some in the Poultry Press but I don't remember which issue it was in.

I really only want the Silvers, but I might get a few Goldens to play with since they seem to be so much further along in type than the Silvers.

Are you breeding anything else or are you only doing Campines?

similarly no bantams here -- i have a trio of silvers, and the girls *seem* like they might start laying again soon (they started briefly in late november but then stopped again) -- need to take some photos one of these days...

I have breed silver campines with gold campines for many years and never have had any yellowing on white cape or hackle feathers what so ever!. You will not if you have pure campines in the first place. Its a good thing to do when one is lacking gene pool . Eyes should always be dark ,like coal. no reddish eye color. Legs are slate gray/blue not greenish in any way. Ear lobes should be solid white no red in them at all, and males are hen feathered, There are no saddle feathers not a one ! If you have any type of saddle feathers its not the direction you want to go. either don't breed the bird or use only pure breeders back in this bird (never use this bird to breed again) and continue using pure into off spring for 6 to 8 generations to consider it a pure strain. I would not use any breeder with undesirable traits!

Back
Top Bottom