Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
Have you asked them what they included? Or if they even have silver campine? I wasn't aware they had them. You might want to go through the list of breeds on their website, on the other hand I'm sure they have birds that aren't listed.

Have you asked them what they included? Or if they even have silver campine? I wasn't aware they had them. You might want to go through the list of breeds on their website, on the other hand I'm sure they have birds that aren't listed.
They said Bresse and all but these two were Bresse. I sent them a photo so maybe they'll get back to me on it. I did go on the site but cannot see anything that resembles these as chicks.... guess I'll keep on waiting, guessing and hoping they will get back to me. The pin feathers are coming out... they are not Bresse for sure.

mine look like Deb's, kind of leopard-spotted -- the packing-peanuts ones look more chipmunk-y on their backs?

I agree that's what's throwing me... I'll probably keep and grow them out just to satisfy my curiosity. Would be nice if they were something special but I don't have that kind of luck... and the way my luck is one will die and I'll end up with a rooster.
lau.gif

Well if anyone has any other suggestions or ideas please PM as I don't wish to hijack your thread. I was hoping though - Campines are gorgeous.

just got home and took some quick pictures.
here are my 3 days old whitish and other Danish silver campine chicks
+ a 2 weeks old US silver campine chick (cockerel?)

Last edited:
It does look like a boy. Watch those legs, they do look a little greenish. That is something I cull for that crops up now and then, maybe 1 in 20-30 chicks. Unfortunately you don't have the option of culling too heavily.

An interesting side note, I butchered a green legged campine once. I do peel/save feet to make stock. When I peeled the outer skin, it was yellow, the leg underneath was the proper shade of slately blue.

here some more pics of my white campine chicks

versus the brown ones

BIG BIG difference, no?

what is right, what is wrong? is there a right, is there a wrong?

what is right, what is wrong? is there a right, is there a wrong?

I have no idea what different lines may look like at hatch, so I couldn't say what's right or wrong.

Neither group look anything like any of the campine chicks I have produced. There is a golden chick pictured on Feathersite that looks somewhat like your brown group. But like I said, it may just be a difference in the line. I think I would just grow them out and see what you get.

Maybe we'll all be clamoring for some!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom