Campine Chicken thread?

I would suspect she has lost her ovary.  This means that while she may have started life as a pullet, she will never lay an egg and will look and act "Roo-ish" but I could be wrong.

It would be my luck, man. Out of 10 chickens this (my first) year, she was my 2nd pullet. All the rest were Roos!

It would be my luck, man. Out of 10 chickens this (my first) year, she was my 2nd pullet. All the rest were Roos!

Here was her comb 2 weeks ago at 16 weeks when I was certain she was s pullet

I'm glad to see other pics of campines - I have one in my little flock and she started out quite skittish but is warming up a bit, although seems pretty food motivated, ha. Her comb is getting quite red and so I was worried that she might be a roo, but I forgot that they're red combed birds anyway. Here are some pics of her over the past few weeks, although I don't have a recent one because I've been working on their coop non-stop!

These are my "chicks" from the spring hatch. They are relaxing in my neglected flower garden under the sunflowers. He is the better of the 2 roosters and the little girl beside him hasn't started laying yet (smaller comb than her sisters who ARE laying). They are 24 weeks old and at least 3 of the 7 girls are laying regularly. These lovelies are from @Wisher1000 's eggs.

My husband came home a couple of nights ago and tried to shut the garage door. It reversed several times, so he went back to see what was going on, and 4 of the campines had followed the truck into the garage and were foraging around the tires and wheel wells. We just shook our heads. I've never been around birds as inquisitive as Campines. My pet Campine (from MPC) that I lost a year ago at the age of 5 was just like that, too, so I guess it is truly a breed characteristic.

We've got a wild Campine girl and she's 22weeks and still no eggs! Are they late layers?

Soly getting morning loves.

Yes, they may wait until spring before they start laying. It is one of the problems that many neglected breeds suffer. With no one doing selective breeding for egg production, they quickly lose their prominence as "The Everyday Layer." I am pleased that I am seeing much improvement during the spring and summer, but once molt sets in, they are not performing like I'd like. I was lucky to get an egg or two a week from the first Campine hens I acquired. Now, they are in full production in early February (with lights) and lay four to six eggs a week per hen through July. Molt usually starts mid August and production bottoms out. Some will pick back up in October and lay one or two a week until I start the lights on them again in December. Once they are closer to standard, and I am getting more consistency, I can start hatching more winter eggs to produce more winter layers.

With that said, Soly looks like she may already be close, or possibly is hiding eggs from you. Look at that nice red comb........is this the same one that crows?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom