Campine Chicken thread?

One of the girls.

I like this bird. He has a well rounded chest and, I think, a better tail set than this pic suggests. I like his comb and the height of the barring on his throat. His wings are well tucked and he has some depth in his body. He has great enamel white earlobes and dark eyes. His hackles are nice and white (but will develop more black ticking as he ages, they all do.)

I passed him on to you because he is just starting to show some chrome in his tail (I am keeping a couple that have more) and because he still has some all-black feathers in the main part of his tail. This cockerel has the same genetic material as my best birds. You may have some stunners in your first hatch.

I am so happy you have taken on this project and will help in any way I can.

Yes, the barring could be better. That is an ongoing struggle. I could pick him apart and talk about the lack of barring in the tail and too much white on some feathers, but I have found that I have to go through some of that to achieve more barring in the tail. This bird would be categorized (at my farm) as a "dark" bird, as opposed to a "bright" bird. The brights have much more white and much more barring in the tail. I wouldn't hesitate to breed that boy of yours and if you will notice the blue band on his leg, that means he made the first cut for breeding. He was one that I considered but there was at least one that was better.

just saying hello and happy new year -- my main flock is still recovering from a late molt this year, so no pictures -- but i also have an extra pair of young silver campines, in case anyone here is in northern CA and interested? i will get pictures once this crazy rain lets up!
laura

Heel low:

Not my breed but helping another investigate this breed in Silver and the gold Varieties.

Hmm...stumbled upon something...

Sigrid Van Dort (GENETICS of Chicken Colours) says, in the e-series, you should base the Campine (and Brakels-large fowl version of Campines) on ER for males to have patterned tails and eb for width of colour barring (she says, "On eb the banding is wider, twice as much as black than white (silver/gold)." Selection is suggested as how one "balances" this conundrum...at least to me it had me thinking...impure in e-series? Perhaps e"+"/eb for patterned tail on male AND width for coloured banding...it just did not jive in my mind!

For the life of me, could not figure out how you were going to get the width of coloured barring (1 to 1 on female's throat progressing to dark banding that was twice as wide as white barring when hitting breast, tail at 4 times the width, three times on wings, etc.) larger than white/no pigmented in various places on the body...but keep the male tail patterned too...what ER Birchen was to do (male with patterened tail wanted--females patterned tail no matter if ER or eb) and yet the eb Brown was to keep the coloured barring wider than the white portion. Good gack it was an impossible combo or?
barnie.gif

Thought on it over night and found the answer.
yippiechickie.gif

The SOP, APA 2010, only mentions the modified form of hen feathering for the male when discussing disqualifications, even the portion on the tail for the male only hints at fem-tail with "well curved" for the sickles. Yes indeed, not a hen feathered tail so much like in a Sebright but modified female tail...that was my AH HA moment...the tail leans to the feminine feather shape...so skip the ER Brichen for the need of a patterned male tail and go with the eb Brown.

Recall, not my breed, not my variety...here's some Booted Bantams...that be one of my breeds in landfowl.
lol.png

Top left - e"+" Duckwing (wild type)
Bottom slight right - eb Brown

Personally, have not had Sebrights in Silver for decades now...so no ER Brichen Day olds but here is a comparison of day old Mille de Fleur Booted Bantams. One based on eb Brown, the other based upon e"+" Duckwing (wild type).

Left day old is e"+" Duckwing and right day old is eb Brown
Note skin colour is incorrect for Booted Bantams in MdF variety (correct for self-Whites which I also have)

Left day old is e"+" Duckwing and right day old is eb Brown
Correct skin colour for Booted Bantams in the MdF variety

I wish, wish, wish the APA SOP would state something like "modified form of hen feathering" in the shape section of the description of the male Campine...not just the Disqualification section. Oh well...any hoo...

Hope this Eureka moment of mine assists you Campiners somewhat...
big_smile.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Back
Top Bottom