Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
:)Thank you. We have 15 chickens right now. We picked most of them because they were cute chicks. Tiger, which we just identified is a Silver Campine, is sitting on 10+ eggs. She made her nest in our front yard. I had to move her to the coop area. One of our other Banties has started laying eggs in Tiger's nest. We do not have a campine roo. Our roos are buff sillkie, white silke, and as yet an identified breed. The lady at the feed store said it was a wyandotte but I an not sure. We are excited to see what color/kind of babies we get.

Thank you for helping to identify Tiger's breed.
That's a lot of comb for a 4 week old Campine. You may need to change Abigail's name.

We finally got our Silver Campines! They are so cute and have the neatest markings. Hope to be breeding these by late summer since they supposedly mature fast.

We have only one at the moment. Her name is Windy and she's 3 months old. She's flighty as well but will stay close to me and loves to be held. What is every ones opinion of her quality wise? Fire away! I I'd like to find a few more plus rooster to go with them.

I love my Campine. She is crazy though! Won't let me touch her EVER, even as a chick, but she is so cool to watch. She flies a little bit and moves real quick. She is a funny little thing. Also very vocal and makes a pretty little song :)

I have 6 Campines that hatched from eggs. At 4 weeks 2 of them have giant (for their size) combs! Amazing! The rest vary a lot in size and feather development. I have one that is so developed that I thought one of the 8 week Golden Penciled Hamburg got in the pen until I looked at the size compared to the GPH... but she's big compared to the rest. And there is one that looks to be just getting rid of the baby fluff.. kind of scrunggy looking... and quite small. Such a wide range...

I should look for a home for them... I'm afraid they won't do well in northern PA... especially the combs... but

I think this is the best place to ask this question. I have read, I think all the posts here, and don't remember reading anything about a question I have on Golden Campine.

I have 2 Golden Campine they are 7 months old. Also I have a Black Star Sex-Link of the same age.

Anyway... I have been trying to figure out what sex they are for months now and haven't had much luck.

-> Little about my Golden Campine's behavior... One is very sweet, not into running up to me and being picked up but does enjoy being held and petting if it is "her" idea. The other one... is not so sweet. The past 3 or so months it has tried to pick a fight with me every time I go to the back yard. I don't know if it is unhappy where it is in the pecking order and wants to be above me or if it is a rooster. It drops it's wings low and puffs out it's chest and puffs up it's feathers, and grabs my pant leg with it's beak and kicks at me. The others don't do this at all. They look ever so similar in features; neither has overly long tail or extra overly large comb or wattles, and both are very similar in weight. Although the first one I talked about has always been a tiny bit heavier than the other. {I'll post some pictures later today.}

There have been no eggs and no crowing from what I can hear. My Black Star Sex-Link started laying at 5 months of age, she has since stopped and is currently molting.

I know that Golden Campine are slower to start laying.

But does anyone know at what age a Golden Campine would start to crow if they where roosters?

~Thank you in advance. Pictures to come in a little bit.

Mine started to crow between 4-6 weeks of age. They mature really fast.
I think this is the best place to ask this question. I have read, I think all the posts here, and don't remember reading anything about a question I have on Golden Campine.

I have 2 Golden Campine they are 7 months old. Also I have a Black Star Sex-Link of the same age.

Anyway... I have been trying to figure out what sex they are for months now and haven't had much luck.

-> Little about my Golden Campine's behavior... One is very sweet, not into running up to me and being picked up but does enjoy being held and petting if it is "her" idea. The other one... is not so sweet. The past 3 or so months it has tried to pick a fight with me every time I go to the back yard. I don't know if it is unhappy where it is in the pecking order and wants to be above me or if it is a rooster. It drops it's wings low and puffs out it's chest and puffs up it's feathers, and grabs my pant leg with it's beak and kicks at me. The others don't do this at all. They look ever so similar in features; neither has overly long tail or extra overly large comb or wattles, and both are very similar in weight. Although the first one I talked about has always been a tiny bit heavier than the other. {I'll post some pictures later today.}

There have been no eggs and no crowing from what I can hear. My Black Star Sex-Link started laying at 5 months of age, she has since stopped and is currently molting.

I know that Golden Campine are slower to start laying.

But does anyone know at what age a Golden Campine would start to crow if they where roosters?

~Thank you in advance. Pictures to come in a little bit.

Mine started to crow between 4-6 weeks of age. They mature really fast.

Interesting. Well mine are a bit past that 28 weeks of age.

So maybe they will be hens?

These two close ups were taken 7 weeks ago (they are about 21 weeks old):

This is the nice one:

This is the NOT nice one:

And this is one taken 10 weeks ago (they are about 18 weeks old):

Any ideas from those who have raised this pretty yet frustrating breed?

Or just wild guesses are welcome too!

I did post something 4 months ago, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...mpine-sexer-needed-also-there-are-many-photos

I didn't get new pictures taken today. But will see if I can get some current ones up.

~Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom