Can’t afford rising feed prices

Pics
I don’t have chickens yet, but I have been doin a lot of reading. One person said they wanted to cut their feed bill in 1/2 and did so by feeding in the early afternoon instead of first thing in the morning. This helped with the chickens foraging first a little. She also used fermented food as well and fodder.

Here’s the blog post
https://mranimalfarm.com/cut-chicken-feed-cost-half/
this is true but only if you live somewhere where there is year round forage. in the snowy north where I live, impossible.

eggs near me are $6-9 a dozen in the grocery store for free range eggs. the cheapest cage horrible eggs are still almost $4. I can't believe people would only value small flock eggs at $2 a dozen! we buy from friends of ours for $6 a dozen and are happy to support (not that need eggs too often right now)
Through the years I have had many folks tell me that fresh eggs taste funny, especially brown ones. And then more often than not, many of my co-workers over that same timeframe believe that I should charge less than the stores do. I finally got tired of the haggling a couple of years ago and give my surplus eggs to a local foodbank. And since then, some of the same ones that haggled about the price got mad about me giving "free" eggs to the foodbank and not them.

I’ve seen online that some people go feed-free with whole grain berries, bugs, and other foraging.
Has anyone here tried to cut back amounts by a good deal or even entirely omitted chicken feed?
I was planning on letting them summer over my garden bed this year instead of gardening, but husband is looking at abandoning the chickens all together. If he does that I’ll have to do a garden or lose both outdoor pleasures. (Because if I don’t labor on the weeds, and the chickens don’t than it’ll be impossible to get back.)
Hoping y’all have some better ideas than I’m coming up with.
I have planted both iceberg lettuce and nasturtiums and pick them for my girls, Also my husband loves to soak stale bread in water and give them that. we also treat them with no sugar popcorn- their favourites. I sell their eggs at work which pays for pellets if needed.

I live in snowland Nebraska..this year -15 temps..and cold winds..I also believe you are perhaps overfeeding or may have others "indulging" in your feed..maybe rodents birds ect. Check that feed is secure. Are you offering grit in right amounts? Will eat more if not able to properly digest their food. Is your feed of good quality? Especially in winter, my opinion is commercial feed is necessary for all nutrients. I pick up the feeders nightly in my coops..this alleviates free pickings and drawing of insect/rodents as well as lets me monitor consumption. Layer feed in mornings then I go in again at 3-5 and feed a mix of whole oats/corn/seeds/mealworms and or scraps..I do sow a 100x100 plot of oats, and grow veggies for the girls. I sow many of these late August..and even after freezes can pick the kale for the girls. A bale of good alfalfa at 7-12 dollars also offers some good greens to eat.often lasting most of the winter months. I simply pull some off and break it up into a bucket..then scatter over their pellets..I also give some electrolytes in water when temps dip into the extremes..On the subject of eggs..2$ is too cheap. I charge 6 dozen, if they don't sell I feed them back to the chickens. I also Water glass my eggs for some longer storage.. .

Last edited:
I’ve seen online that some people go feed-free with whole grain berries, bugs, and other foraging.
Has anyone here tried to cut back amounts by a good deal or even entirely omitted chicken feed?
I was planning on letting them summer over my garden bed this year instead of gardening, but husband is looking at abandoning the chickens all together. If he does that I’ll have to do a garden or lose both outdoor pleasures. (Because if I don’t labor on the weeds, and the chickens don’t than it’ll be impossible to get back.)
Hoping y’all have some better ideas than I’m coming up with.
Hi… Feed isn’t a problem for me. It’s FREE..! Here’s my secret… Only us “Backyard Chicken Folks” buy our feed at TSC, or other retail stores. Instead, think like the big farms think. They buy feed by the ton. Make some calls and get to know your neighboring farmers. Here, I found a farmer who grows feed, mixes it and adds the supplements according to breed—cows, chickens, pigs, goats, etc.—He even makes starter, grower, layer mixed flock, and even molter mix…. The problem is, they come in 100 pound bags ($20), but by the time I get through about half the sack, the organic, preservative-free, feed may start to go rancid… So, I found a few other BYC neighbors, divide the sac up into 5gal. buckets, for $5 each, and deliver right to their door. That pays for the whole sac, plus a little bit for gas and my time… I get free feed, scratch and treats (corn, sunflower, etc.)…. I also have an extra garden where I plant my extra seedlings (I always plant more starts than I need). It looks crazy, no rows or space, just cram them in. I thin by cutting them back, and the roots send up new greens. Cucumbers and melons and gourds grow up the fence. Celery, beets, Swiss chard, radishes, spinach, kale, micro-greens, carrots, etc. grow very well when over planted, if you keep cutting them back. I also have gal. ziplock bags full of wild berries, grapevines, sunchokes, etc.
Lastly, find out where the wild crab apple trees are, or neighbors who have apple trees, and make a cold storage area—fill it with gourds, melons, potatoes, radishes, sunflower heads, etc… Properly stored, they’ll last until spring, when you’ll start all over again.
Remember this… Our forefathers didn’t have a TSC to go buy feed, yet they managed to keep all their animals through the winter… We’ve just forgotten how. So, ask around (the “Old Farmers” like me), and do the extra work instead of running to the store with your $$$…
Good Luck,
+Blessings

Hi… Feed isn’t a problem for me. It’s FREE..! Here’s my secret… Only us “Backyard Chicken Folks” buy our feed at TSC, or other retail stores. Instead, think like the big farms think. They buy feed by the ton. Make some calls and get to know your neighboring farmers. Here, I found a farmer who grows feed, mixes it and adds the supplements according to breed—cows, chickens, pigs, goats, etc.—He even makes starter, grower, layer mixed flock, and even molter mix…. The problem is, they come in 100 pound bags ($20), but by the time I get through about half the sack, the organic, preservative-free, feed may start to go rancid… So, I found a few other BYC neighbors, divide the sac up into 5gal. buckets, for $5 each, and deliver right to their door. That pays for the whole sac, plus a little bit for gas and my time… I get free feed, scratch and treats (corn, sunflower, etc.)…. I also have an extra garden where I plant my extra seedlings (I always plant more starts than I need). It looks crazy, no rows or space, just cram them in. I thin by cutting them back, and the roots send up new greens. Cucumbers and melons and gourds grow up the fence. Celery, beets, Swiss chard, radishes, spinach, kale, micro-greens, carrots, etc. grow very well when over planted, if you keep cutting them back. I also have gal. ziplock bags full of wild berries, grapevines, sunchokes, etc.
Lastly, find out where the wild crab apple trees are, or neighbors who have apple trees, and make a cold storage area—fill it with gourds, melons, potatoes, radishes, sunflower heads, etc… Properly stored, they’ll last until spring, when you’ll start all over again.
Remember this… Our forefathers didn’t have a TSC to go buy feed, yet they managed to keep all their animals through the winter… We’ve just forgotten how. So, ask around (the “Old Farmers” like me), and do the extra work instead of running to the store with your $$$…
Good Luck,
+Blessings
I also want to add, get yourself (or make) a feeder that prevents the chickens from scratching through the feed, to get to their favorite bits… They can pick through, and waste, half their feed just to get to the best parts first (which is often corn, which is unhealthy for them… corn is like candy, and just as unhealthy, if too much)… So, get a scratch proof feeder, or make one. Easy and cheap…
Also, chickens will always go to roost at night with a very full crop (necessary for egg production), so feel their crop when you lock them up for the night, and if their crop is bulging, they are getting enough to eat… If not, toss them some scratch about a half hour before dusk.
Once Again,
Good Luck,
+Blessings

Forefather chickens weren't the productive layers they are today either. They weren't using as much energy and nutrition as they are nowadays laying almost everyday
Yup… And one of the reasons I only keep heritage breed chickens. No GMO, sex-link, meat chickens or Frankenchickens for me. I keep everything as organic as possible…
Thanks,
+Blessings

When you have any animal you have to count the cost of feeding them. I have rabbits that are in my house. Main reason I got them was for fertilizer our land has not had any livestock on it in over 25 years. My rabbits produce enough fertilizer for my orka,tomato and green bean beds to help through the summer months. They also make me happy. Not good for petting but they always love you when it’s feeding time. I have 8 chickens. Was expensive to get started feed has gone way up since we had them years ago. I only have three that lay right now. The other 4 should began laying soon. They are the best weed eaters around They keep the flies and insects down and they also provide great fertilizer. Biggest thing is that they lay wonderful eggs and they are always happy. Which makes me happy. Roo is a sweet protector and very handsome. We also have 4 cats. One who thinks the chickens are hers. 3 others who help her keep pests away. 5 fish in a barrel whose overflow water we use on our plants and orka bed when it’s dry. Buying in bulk can cause a lot of waste if you have a small flock. Our run is completely enclosed with a 12- 18” hardware cloth skirt. I hang the 15lb feeder under the coop and add 30 oz of feed every 3-4 days. I add some scratch to it. They get treats from n the morning and a suet with greens Weather permitting they get to free range about an hour to 30 minutes before sundown.

Back
Top Bottom