Can’t Find Ratite Starter Feed!!

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
Hello! I have two emu eggs that are due to hatch in 9-12 days. I am trying to buy ratite starter feed in advance so that I don’t have to stress myself out with getting it as soon as they hatch, but I can’t find it anywhere! I’ve looked on Amazon (which I’m sure I’ve seen it on before) but they don’t have it. I’ve checked TSC, but they don’t carry it, and C-A-L Ranch Stores carries 50 lb bags of Mazuri “all age” ratite food but they are currently out of stock :barnie. I’m not sure what to do now. I’m going to need it very soon, but if they don’t get it in stock again soon then I don’t know where else to get it from. Does anyone know where to get ratite starter feed? Is Mazuri brand the best option (financially and nutritionally)? Also, is the “all age” good for them or would it be better to get a feed specifically for chicks? Can they eat pellets or do I need to get crumbles (if they even have that)? TIA for any advice, tips, or knowledge.

This is a grower breeder feed. Is that okay for chicks?

Yep! The food I feed from Poulin Grain is also a grower/breeder and the chicks do really well on it.

You can also order a bag of Mazuri directly from Mazuri, but it's really expensive to do.

First: someone like Pyxis, knowledgeable about your specific situation, will happen along.

Meanwhile: they need molto exercise on a non-slip surface – or even outdoors. Pet chicks are IMHO coddled. Wild chicks thrive in howling winds and pouring rain.

They need fresh water.

Beyond that, provide mixtures of chopped vegies, chopped fruit, and whole meal bread.

Mine never get junk food beyond the occasional bit of biscuit snatched from my plate in the garden.

Otherwise, they’ll gobble up peanut butter, rice cakes, rice, wholemeal pasta, wholemeal bread, wheat, lentils, olives, scraps of meat, carrots, silverbeet – try them with any green veg -- potato, figs, grapes, plums, apricots, and all manner of flowers and grass seeds.

Here is Uno Chick, with his Dad, the legendary ‘Eric.’ Uno is enjoying wheat, chopped dates, and dried grapes on the day we met.

(Though I did most of my observations of chicks’ diets with Alpha and Omega, a couple of years later.)

Attachments

• IMG_20141113_170548.jpg
    IMG_20141113_170548.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 8
Hello!

Still no chicks…not even any internal pips! I’m incredibly frustrated because I just saw one of the eggs wiggling two or three days ago! I think they may both be dead :hit

How can I contact them? Sorry if that should be obvious, I’ve only been on here a week and I’m not exactly sure how everything works yet…

Back
Top Bottom