Can’t tell if eggs are rotten or not.

Dec 29, 2019
This is my first time incubating chicken eggs and I’m really struggling in the candling aspect. I tried candling one my eggs today that’s on day 14 of incubation but couldn’t see anything except darkness and the air sack. The egg’s shell is blue, but I’m not completely sure that’s the problem. I candled an egg from our egg basket that has a blue shell and could see inside just fine. I do not smell anything when I open the incubator so I’m not sure if the egg is rotten or not. Im worried about leaving the egg in if it is rotten and I’m scared to take it out in case it’s not. What should I do? :fl :confused:

Last edited:
Darkness and an airsac might be a good thing.
Some eggs are harder to see into, like dark brown eggs, than lighter ones. I think the link provided above is a good start as well as others who have stated if there is no smell they are probably ok. Trust me, you'd know if an eggs gone bad in the incubator. Just hope it doesnt explode!

If it's dark in the chick sac, that means the chick has grown. It's not always easy to see anything beyond the shadow. Don't take it out of the incubator if it doesn't stink. If you check the smell of the incubator a couple times a day, by just cracking it open a bit, not removing and smelling individual eggs, you will know if one is bad. That's when you want to pick up the individual eggs to see which one is smelling bad. Then take that one out. But not before.

Back
Top Bottom