Can 2 week old ducklings drink too much water?

SusanME

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
Maine
I have 3 khaki campbell ducklings- two weeks old on the 20th. They had duck crumbles and water 24/7 from three days old, when they arrived by mail. On the night of the 20th, one of them (the smallest of the 3) started wobbling around like it was drunk and falling forward like it was chest heavy. I immediately messaged a friend who's got a bunch of ducklings- but just got into ducks a couple of months ago. After asking about niacin (there's supposed to be plenty in the feed- Purina), my friend remembered what a friend had told them about a chest-heavy duckling and suggested I take the food and water out and only give it to them three times a day for 15 minutes or so.

I took the water and food out immediately, and after a half hour or so, the duckling was less wobbly. She was completely back to normal the next morning.

I'm confused, though, since the sites & books I'm looking at are saying I should give ducklings access to water 24/7.

I have no reason to doubt my friend's advice, since I'm pretty sure it saved my duckling's life. But is it ok to just give them water a few times a day?

I think that would be ok, just make sure its not cold water. Or they can gorge on the cold water, sieze, then die. Rationing food is more common place. Rationing water during the day i have not heard of.

Back
Top Bottom