can 5 week old chicks go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CarolinaKid 8, Mar 26, 2011.

1. CarolinaKid 8

CarolinaKid 8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Darlington,sc
    We have 5 -5weeks old today rir chicks.The weather at night is low 40s and 50s at night .Will they be ok to go outside now ,they are getting really messy these days... thanks

2. allcrackedup

allcrackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    capitola
    you should wait at least 8

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I put mine out as soon as they hatch and leave a heat lamp on for them in the area i feed them in , they can enter this area but the big birds can't
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    My 5 week olds are outside! I have 2 week olds outside... I just put lamps on for them at night and their fine!! [​IMG]

5. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Quote:x2
    as long as they have a heat source. they will snuggle too. If you can control the temp so you can set it at 70 and then drop it 5 degrees each week you should be able to wean them from the heat in a month.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I raise mine in the brooder in the coop. I keep one area in the recommended temperature range but let the rest of the brooder cool down quite a bit more, as much as 20 to 30 degrees. By 4 to 5 weeks old, mine are fully feathered out. I remove the supplemental heat and take them out of the brooder to where they have more room.

If you really, really, truly want to, you can keep them in the house until they are 8 weeks old, but you don't have to. If you can give them a predator proof area that blocks all breezes so they are not in a draft and give them some bedding like straw or wood shavings they can cuddle down in, they should be fine at those temperatures.

7. CarolinaKid 8

CarolinaKid 8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Darlington,sc
    Thanks to all your advice...Those lil ones are going out with a heat source,,,,thanks BYC folks///[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Mine went outside with no heat at about 6 weeks. It's been in the *teens* here at night and they are fine. [​IMG] They are even roosting!

9. blue_egg_lover

blue_egg_lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    I like the picture of the chicks with dog. It's cute.

10. hickchick55

hickchick55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by