can 5 week old chicks go outside?

What a good idea! I need t do some looking around the property for a cabinet or something like it.
hugs.gif
Thanks!

I put our (20) 5 week old Sussex in an outside pen today. They were in a partially covered cattle tank in our unheated garage for the last 3 weeks. I used a 250 watt heat lamp, switched to a 100 watt, started turning it off during the day, then switched to a 40 watt bulb on during the day for light. They're bedded well, in a cattle tank turned upside down on a wood floor. When I shut the 'door' on them at dusk they were softly peeping in their coop. They appear to generate a lot of body heat. It was in the 30's, but warm inside their coop.

Last edited:
I guess I wonder why people get chicks and then want them out as quickly as possible. So they make noise and smell a bit. People sure do. They're babies! Don't have the time or patience for them,don't have any. I never had the time to have fun with mine when I worked. Now I'm retired and loving being with my little ones. I have a large wire dog crate for the 6 girls and pine shaving and roost. I had my husband make a small hanging feeder from a plastic container. More fun for them, a chicken ball with treats. At night I pull the crate cover over the crate. They are fully
Y feathered and adorable. I talk to them all day and they listen. They eat from my hand and I make them treats. Cooked rice and fresh grass clippings. Our weather is too cold. They will go out in a bottomless crate for a bit on nice days,then move to the coop in the crate(covered at night) until the big birds can be trusted. So there's my opinion. Oh very disturbing to hear no proper shelter. Getting wet? Shake it off? I think this is totally inexcusable.

I guess I wonder why people get chicks and then want them out as quickly as possible. So they make noise and smell a bit. People sure do. They're babies! Don't have the time or patience for them,don't have any. I never had the time to have fun with mine when I worked. Now I'm retired and loving being with my little ones. I have a large wire dog crate for the 6 girls and pine shaving and roost. I had my husband make a small hanging feeder from a plastic container. More fun for them, a chicken ball with treats. At night I pull the crate cover over the crate. They are fully
Y feathered and adorable. I talk to them all day and they listen. They eat from my hand and I make them treats. Cooked rice and fresh grass clippings. Our weather is too cold. They will go out in a bottomless crate for a bit on nice days,then move to the coop in the crate(covered at night) until the big birds can be trusted. So there's my opinion. Oh very disturbing to hear no proper shelter. Getting wet? Shake it off? I think this is totally inexcusable.

It may be helpful to note that the last post on this thread was from 2011 -and that there is not just one "right" way to do things.

Last edited:
Our chicks are about 4 weeks. I've been putting them out during the day. Bringing them in to sleep in a tote in the house. But the totes getting tight w/9 sapphire gems needing space. Hope they can go out w/lamp and it looks like I've got some roosters in my batch of pullets.

My chicks will be six weeks next week. They are really big for their brooder. It is 63 outside. Is it okay to let them out for awhile? They have been without lamp and are adapting inside. (Inside it’s been 70). Thanks

I just removed the heating pad brooder as my flock will be 5 weeks old in 2 days and they need the square footage. Hoping their coop will be done by the end of this week so they can be moved out of my sun room! We do cool down at night but I think they'll manage without heat from now on.

My chicks will be six weeks next week. They are really big for their brooder. It is 63 outside. Is it okay to let them out for awhile? They have been without lamp and are adapting inside. (Inside it’s been 70). Thanks

I would just move them out - the temps are pretty close and they're old enough to move to the coop.

We moved the chicks our a week ago at 5 weeks, I loved having them inside but they were getting crowded as they were bored and confined to our bathtub "brooder", we put a heat lamp outside overnight when after 2 days out our temps took a big dip, but they have been happy and fine from what I can see, they love having more space and proper roosts to play on! We will be removing the light again this week as it's supposed to warm up a lot.

We have 5 -5weeks old today rir chicks.The weather at night is low 40s and 50s at night .Will they be ok to go outside now ,they are getting really messy these days... thanks

Sometime between 4 and 6 weeks of age, depending on the weather. I think they can go outside.

Back
Top Bottom