Can 5 week old chicks roost without mom?

Ketta_czarina

Songster
Jun 17, 2019
My brooder just left her chicks to go back to the roost in the coop. She started laying eggs 3 days ago, and I guess she was just done being mom. The babies are about 5 weeks old, I’ve put them on the roost next to her, they don’t love it. It’ll get down to 59 degrees tonight, should I bring them in the house?

No do not bring them in the house with you. Let them acclimatize to what is the rest of their lives, 59F is nothing.

Yes 5 week old chicks can roost but my experience is with roosts that are 6-12 inches off the ground and set up for them in a brooder space that shelters them from any other adult chickens.

Good luck and don't worry.

My 3 and a half week old chicks are starting to roost by themselves. I gave them a roost when they started to sleep on top of their feeder.😆 Anyways they love it and as long as it's not too high they'll figure it out. Even if they don't roost yet their instinct to be off the ground when sleeping will kick in eventually.

My brooder just left her chicks to go back to the roost in the coop. She started laying eggs 3 days ago, and I guess she was just done being mom. The babies are about 5 weeks old, I’ve put them on the roost next to her, they don’t love it. It’ll get down to 59 degrees tonight, should I bring them in the house?
They'll be fine. My most prolific broody is usually done with them at 3 weeks. They've always done well. I keep mom and chicks with the flock and the chicks integrate naturally.

Back
Top Bottom