Can a bantam cochin join a flock of 6 large breed hens?

bellachicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 3, 2013
Maryland USA
Hello! We have 2 orpingtons, 2 speckled sussex, and 2 dominiques. This weekend I met a sweet bantam cochin and just loved her. I am wondering: Can a bantam cochin join a flock of 6 large birds? What advice do you have for me?
I will say that we love all our girls but one Dominique is pulling the other birds' feathers. We're trying to increase the space, give more things to interest them, provide more roost room, etc and hoping we can stop this bad habit.
And then in the midst of this, I fell in love with a little bantam cochin.
What should I do?
Thanks!

I think that you could probably introduce the Cochin bantam. Many people keep mixed flocks, with both large fowl and bantams. Cochins are pretty large bantams, so that is in their favor as well.

Standard and bantam chickens can be kept together. (obviously many folks have success with it on here) It is my personal experience that separation is best. We have 10 -7 standard, 3 bantams (one of which is a cochin). They have a very large coop and run and have access to the entire yard 3 - 4 times per day. Our coop/run area is divided because we experienced serious issues with pecking. Two of our standard hens are relentless with chasing the bantams away (when they're out "free-ranging"). I simply don't want to referee hens all day, so having adequate (and separate) space for both keeps the gals happy. Also, our bantam cochin is a little tiny thing. She is no larger than our Japanese bantam or OEGB - just a bit more fluff.

Your mileage may vary but we lob them all in together so we have huge Orpingtons in with Appenzeller Spitzhaubens!

They tend to pal up for example we have a white (don't know what it is pullet) that spends her days with the three below and the Appenzeller Spitzhaubens hang out with a small Vorwerk

We have more trouble with the bigger Roosters though - and keep them away from the smaller hens at night and most of the day - barring the odd escapee!

The Orpington Roosters seem to ignore the smaller hens though............... so far!

Back
Top Bottom