Can a bantam rooster breed with large hens without issues? I'm in search of a Prince Charming for my

MisfitMarie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Portland, OR
I have a question about bantam roosters and large fowl ladies, but I also could use some direction on choosing a rooster!

I have six Olive Egger pullets, about four months old. I'm considering adding a rooster to my flock and saw an ad for a black bantam Ameraucana rooster.

He's a handsome guy about one year old:

I love the idea of owning a bantam rooster, but I want to make sure that he wont have any issues "taking care" of his ladies.

Do any of you have any successes or failures you could share as to breeding bantam roosters to large hens?

The owner claims he is very sweet and mild, but also might have access to a large Ameraucana rooster if I would rather go that route.

I have Blue Ameraucana (large fowl) hatching in my incubator right now.... an alternative would be to raise up a few of those chicks, hope for a cockerel, and raise him up to eventually integrate in with my hens.

Obviously, any roo will have to go through a quarantine/integration period and what not. My area allows roosters, but I will still be trying out the no-crow collar down the road for my neighbor's sake.

Open to suggestions! :)

Last edited:
I would see if one of your new chicks works out as a flock rooster. He will be younger than your EEs, which is a very good thing, and won't bring in any new diseases, as an outside bird might. A cockrel raised with older birds may develop better social skills! By the time your new chicks are old enough, one of the cockrels might be the right one for you. Mary

I agree with Mary. You're going to hatch out cockerels, and instead of trying to find homes for them, pick one to keep. I also agree you get a better flock bird when he's been raised with older ladies. Getting a year old male now, with only immature pullets, he could easily become frustrated and there won't be anyone in the flock to put him in his place. Your hatchling will get integrated to the flock when he's younger, and the Olive Eggers will happily teach him good manners. He'll have to earn his mating privileges, and likely be a better overall bird.

If you do chose the bantam bird, they usually fertilize eggs pretty well. But your offspring won't really have value as a purebred animal, they'll be an in-between size and not please breeders of either size. Also, he does not appear to have nicely colored slate legs? If you're paying for a purebred bird, be sure you get one with all the characteristics of the breed you'll want to pass on.

Yeah, I agree with both of you. I think it would be best to raise up a few of my own chicks. Hopefully, lots of handling and care will produce a well behaved rooster. I think that would be my worst fear: spending all the time and attention on a little cockerel that suddenly turned into a total jerk as soon as he matured or wasn't very gentle or polite with his ladies.

But I agree that my Olive Eggers could teach him some manners. It sounds like the best way to go!

I know any eggs or babies they produce wouldn't be purebred. They'd be Easter Eggers. Ameraucana is one of my favorite breeds, so I'm excited about having a true pure Ameraucana rooster... I would be able to keep blue and green laying birds in my flock. =)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom