Can a big and small duck mate??

duckyday4

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2016
I got a female Black Swede for my male Pekin duck today. The farmer showed me one female Black Swede and White Pekin at the same time in a small cage (they don't live in the small cage -- he just picked these two for me to chose from). Anyway, I ended up choosing the Black Swede and it wasn't until I got home I realized she was on the small side. I read Black Swede's grow to about the same body size as a Pekin so, she must be young. He told me she was a year old but, she can't be unless she's a special miniature breed, which she is not (I called and asked him when I got home). I am not sure how old she is -- I think she was probably born mid to late summer. I suppose I would have to weigh her to get an idea. At any rate, my problem is my male is going on 10 months old and he's between 8 and 9 pounds and he wants to mate with her! I'm afraid he's going to hurt or kill her. Does anyone know anything on this subject? Should I keep them separated for a few months? Thanks
love.gif

I would keep them separated for a while, yes. Sometimes we are told what breed one is, and the individual duck isn't quite the size you'd expect.

As I wrote recently, sometimes I have to remind myself that it's my job to keep my ducks safe - sometimes from each other! So take it a day at a time, see if she has some more growing to do.

Back
Top Bottom