Can a broody chicken hatch a duck egg while hatching baby chicks?

Sequoia Raven Bird Farms

Sing the song of your soul 🎶 ✨️
Sep 8, 2023
Peaceful Woods, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Borla (pom-pom/tuft in Spanish) the Silkie has just become broody and is sitting on 3 bantam eggs. I have a few eggs I didn't refrigerate that were layed yesterday afternoon. I'm going to put the chicken eggs under her, but one of the other eggs is a duck egg. Should I put it under her?
I know chickens can hatch ducks, but what about hatching chicks as well?
Just wondering, if not I'll just give it to the duck hen that will be broody soon.
Thank you.

How long has she been setting the 3 bantam eggs?
You don't want to put more eggs under her than chicks she can easily cover for the first 2 weeks.

Personally, I would just store the duck egg and give to a duck to hatch and raise. I wouldn't want the duck imprinting on the chicken and the duck needs to swim and chickens can't.

Ducks take longer so you may need to finish incubating yourself if the hen leaves the nest after the chicks hatch.

If you have a broody duck hen, that seems like a better option so it also won't be the only duckling potentially and a duck mom would teach it more appropriate manners.

That said i'm sure its possible, I would give it a try if i had no other options for sure.

You don't want to put more eggs under her than chicks she can easily cover for the first 2 weeks.

Personally, I would just store the duck egg and give to a duck to hatch and raise. I wouldn't want the duck imprinting on the chicken and the duck needs to swim and chickens can't.
About 7hrs or so.

That would be confusing for the duck and hen lol

Most duck eggs hatch in four weeks, Muscovy take five weeks of incubation. If you start the duck egg early and add the chicken eggs after however many days it takes to even things out the hen might have a fighting chance of hatching them. If you start them all at the same time the chickens eggs will hatch, the hen will abandon the duck egg and it will die. You want them all to hatch at the same time.

I've done this with turkey and chicken eggs, it worked fine. I have never tried ducks.

Most duck eggs hatch in four weeks, Muscovy take five weeks of incubation. If you start the duck egg early and add the chicken eggs after however many days it takes to even things out the hen might have a fighting chance of hatching them. If you start them all at the same time the chickens eggs will hatch, the hen will abandon the duck egg and it will die. You want them all to hatch at the same time.

I've done this with turkey and chicken eggs, it worked fine. I have never tried ducks.
Thank you for the information. I've decided to just let one of the ducks hatch the eggs since they are VERY BROODY. I also have a turkey egg but I didn't bother to ask since I know they take a lot longer to develop than a chicken. But a turkey hen is interested in setting them. Do you have any tips for getting a turkey hen to hatch a turkey egg?

I don't see it as any different than chickens or ducks. If the turkey is broody give her the egg and leave her alone.

I personally don't like to set just one egg. When it hatches and is with the broody things are OK, but once the broody weans it then it is on its own. They are flock animals. They do better with companions their own age.

I don't see it as any different than chickens or ducks. If the turkey is broody give her the egg and leave her alone.

I personally don't like to set just one egg. When it hatches and is with the broody things are OK, but once the broody weans it then it is on its own. They are flock animals. They do better with companions their own age.
Yes of course I'll give her more. Well then I'm set. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom