Can a bunny eat bread?

I'm not really good with rabbits...but what the other memebrs said sounds good!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

No, it is not a good idea to feed rabbits bread. Rabbits do not do well with grains, which is what bread is mostly made of. Rabbits need plants and leafy materials, not grains. If you feed a rabbit too much grain, it can have digestive problems, which are often quite serious. I suggest getting some rabbit feed from a store, or at least some good quality timothy hay.

Last edited:
No, you should not give your rabbit bread, unless it is a very small bit as a treat only once in a while. If your rabbit is an adult, get it some timothy rabbit pellets and some timothy or orchard grass hay. Hay should make up about 80% of a rabbits diet. Adult rabbits need a very small amount of pellets each day, some don't even need it every day. Young rabbits can be fed an alfalfa pellet until they are about 6 months old. Some leafy greens each day are good for them as well. Stay away from sugary things like fruit or too much carrots and no ice berg lettuce. A good mix of greens for rabbits is what they call "spring mix" salad greens.

Hopefully you also have a much larger cage for your rabbit then the one shown in the picture.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

The other members have answered your question well. Bread is not a good feed for rabbits, though I have fed very small amounts of it in the past to help with weight gain with my rabbits. The best feed for rabbits is a complete pelleted feed, supplemented with quality timothy hay.

Back
Top Bottom