Can a cat break into a chicken coop?

Peggysaurus

Songster
Sep 24, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hey, BYC! I have an outdoor cat that has been living on my property for 6 years now (one year ago I got my first batch of pullets). Every once in a while, I see her sitting on my fence watching my hens. It's happening more and more often now. Is there a way she could break into the coop? Should
I get rid of her? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, BYC!

Not sure if she can break in.
How big are your chickens?

I have 4 cats, all go inside and out. My adult chickens and guineas free range all day. Sometimes the cats watch the chickens, but they never attack them.
I will, however, say that one time, a cat DID attack a smaller juvenile, and the poor thing didn't make it.
I have since learned that small birds will always be prey to cats. But larger ones are generally ignored. This is the case for my cats and chickens.
I do not know how it would be for yours.

If your coop/run is reasonably predator proofed, you're probably fine.

Last edited:
as long as he's got food in case hunting doesn't go so well from my experience haven't had an issue this them, feral cats though are another story all together. We had someone drop a pet off out here and she moved in and can't seem to get rid of her, if it's really cold as she will not come in you will snuggle into one of the nesting boxes, yes she watches the chickens but more because my girls will kill a mouse but not eat it so she gets a free meal, I was surprised my dogs and the chickens let her in they usually run them off.. the outside cat probably deters others from trying to invade her territory, though if she isn't fixed I would do that so you don't end up attracting feral toms .

Attachments

• 20191001_100012.jpg
    20191001_100012.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20191001_095944_Burst01.jpg
    20191001_095944_Burst01.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 43

Back
Top Bottom