can a chick be raised alone?

I would say you can, but its not ideal. Its kind of like raising a lone puppy from birth. They rely on siblings to teach them communication skills, manners, and how to just behave appropriately. On top of that, it would be very hard to be able to give a lone chick enough attention all the time so that they won't get lonely. I definitely wouldn't recommend keeping an adult by themselves.

I'm laughing at the "Gold fish". :lau:lol::lau
I've had a "thing" for goldfish which started back when I was writing 7 poems a week in different styles. I didn't want to mention my Tanka poem about "my goldfish" without sharing it here as well. The listed styles are Japanese poems American style & a Tanka has 5-7-5-7-7 syllables.
My Goldfish-A Tanka

To Those That enjoys Haiku, Senryu, Hybrids, and Tanka

He swims round and round,
mean and always with a frown
sharp daggers in eyes

a scornful smirk, mean, harsh bark
I need a different pet!
Written by William R. Mather ©/11-26-05

by Bill752

Author's Comments:
"Now, who can imagine a goldfish with an attitude! I think he's a cross between a piranha and a dogfish and just spray painted gold. LOL Bill "

I am down to one chick out of 9 eggs 2 hatched. One peep passed. I am spending as much time as i can and its too cold for the chick.to be outside with the others. I have the brooder as close as i can the chick can hear the others. I put lots of stuffed animals in with it. I felt horrible when i came home yesterday to find the one chick deceased. I am not sure where i can find chicks in December..

I am down to one chick out of 9 eggs 2 hatched. One peep passed. I am spending as much time as i can and its too cold for the chick.to be outside with the others. I have the brooder as close as i can the chick can hear the others. I put lots of stuffed animals in with it. I felt horrible when i came home yesterday to find the one chick deceased. I am not sure where i can find chicks in December..
Post a request on the buying and selling pages

You can probably find chicks in December. Some hatcheries have them year round. Idk where you are but we live an hour away from a hatchery and they always have overflow chicks at a discounted price at the beginning of every week, including this week. We can just drive up there and get as many as we want (I think you have to buy at least three) And I think My Pet Chicken will ship small numbers. I haven't checked, but I'm sure they are the same as our hatchery here as far as availability.

If we have a single chick, we provide the baby with a mirror and a stuffed animal (preferably a stuffed chicken) to help comfort the little one.

Good luck with yours!

The problem with colder climates is, middle of january, its 23 below zero out, postman leaves the chickie in a box, in his truck for 4 hours while he goes to a union meeting to cry about this or that or their next planned strike etc.

Their schedules suck anyways, they are pathetic and never deliver stuff on time to begin with, so your 'Rush' two day box, oh well shucks, it's friday and we missed it, throw it in the truck we'll drive it out first thing monday... Now the bird is sitting in a box for 3 days, in god only knows what temperature. when you get it.. well you know the rest.

Aaron

The problem with colder climates is, middle of january, its 23 below zero out, postman leaves the chickie in a box, in his truck for 4 hours while he goes to a union meeting to cry about this or that or their next planned strike etc.

Their schedules suck anyways, they are pathetic and never deliver stuff on time to begin with, so your 'Rush' two day box, oh well shucks, it's friday and we missed it, throw it in the truck we'll drive it out first thing monday... Now the bird is sitting in a box for 3 days, in god only knows what temperature. when you get it.. well you know the rest.

Aaron
Poultry and bees are not delivered door to door. You must go pick them up at your post office.

Back
Top Bottom