Can a Chick be sexed by egg shape??

I heard that the temp doesn't determine the gender but that the temp can cause one gender to survive better than the other. I have forgotten which temp for which gender. We had 2 cochin eggs one round, one pointy and hoped they would hatch to be a pair. The pointy turned out infertile but the round one is a pullet. I wonder if it works sometimes with some breeds but other breeds do not vary??? Or it was just a fluke. I wish the pointy one had hatched- for more data.

Quote:
This is exactly what I thought but when I told him this about the hatcheries he was so determined to prove me wrong that I thought that I must be the shallow minded one so I respected him and shut my mouth.
That's when I thought "let me just ask my good friends on BYC to make sure". I guess I will just respect my nice old friend let him "think" he knows best.
wink.png

I had heard of this. Was setting eggs and had the kids each pick out the roundest egg they could find and write their names on them. Ended up with 2 eggs round as golf balls and two of the prettiest roosters you've ever seen.
...Named Mary and Berry.

lau.gif
I love it !!! When I was a kid a neighbor gave us the prettiest male calico cat you have ever seen. We named him, "Sylvester" like the cat in the cartoons. Well it was a medical miracle, "Sylvester" gave birth to 3 litters of kittens the next summer.
gig.gif
Come to find out there there is a lethal gene attached to the calico coloring, you just don't see male calico's. I think the egg shape is determined by the hen's reproductive tract, haven't you ever noticed that you can tell who laid which egg just by the shape and color when you know your flock well?

Back
Top Bottom