Can a chick with a deformed leg live a full life?

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
This year we hatched some young easter eggers, only three out of 18 eggs hatched. One needed help but is perfectly fine. Two hatched out completely on their own but one had a twisted leg since birth. I tried the splayed and slipped tendon treatments and none have worked. However, she is eating, drinking, and getting around just fine. I do separate her in a chick chair with her own food and water every night. But I wanna know if anyone has any success raising a chick with such a deformity?

If it is eating and pooping it will live. The question is if you want to raise a chick that will be dependent on you every waking hour.
Well, I don't have a job so....... I have all the time in the world to take care of it. How should a roost be prepared for this chick should it keep going strong?

IMG_20210505_171545.jpg
IMG_20210505_171554.jpg
IMG_20210505_171558.jpg
IMG_20210505_171607.jpg
IMG_20210505_171613.jpg

Yes, if it can move easily, it will do fine. We had a D'Anvers pullet that had something wrong with her legs (her legs would make circles as she ran, looking like she was constantly kicking out to the side) and she did good until a fox took her off our porch.

I have a leghorn now that had something wrong with its feet when she hatched. Her toes couldn't bend flat as she walked so she looked like she was on a tripod for one foot. Eventually she got too big and her toes broke to go flat and now you'd never know she was different watching her run with everyone

Can someone a wheel chair have a full life..?
Probably, though I don't know how to make a wheel chair for a chicken XD
Yes, if it can move easily, it will do fine. We had a D'Anvers pullet that had something wrong with her legs (her legs would make circles as she ran, looking like she was constantly kicking out to the side) and she did good until a fox took her off our porch.

I have a leghorn now that had something wrong with its feet when she hatched. Her toes couldn't bend flat as she walked so she looked like she was on a tripod for one foot. Eventually she got too big and her toes broke to go flat and now you'd never know she was different watching her run with everyone

She can straighten her toes, but she can't bend her leg past a certain point. It feels like it is physically blocked from fully extending. And neither the splayed leg or slipped tendon treatments have made any difference.

Probably, though I don't know how to make a wheel chair for a chicken XD

She can straighten her toes, but she can't bend her leg past a certain point. It feels like it is physically blocked from fully extending. And neither the splayed leg or slipped tendon treatments have made any difference.
They make wheels for dogs and cats.. If she gets around, name her Gimpy.

Back
Top Bottom