Can a chicken bleed when laying an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nuttyredhead, Dec 21, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    2 days ago when i went into the coop, there was blood on the wall near the top roost. I checked all the chickens and there was no sign of blood on any of them. None anywhere else in the coop either. Yesterday my daughter collected the eggs, there was blood on one of the eggs. I washed it off and put it in the fridge. But im curious if anyone has ever had a chicken bleed when first starting to lay? I have one that just started this week, my chickens are Banties too.

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I've not had this issue - but I guess its possible. Some birds will have blood spots inside the egg - no reason why they couldn't have them on the outside too.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Yes, with new layers or an extra large egg - I sometimes get a bit of blood on the egg shell.

Makes me feel bad for the girls [​IMG]

Blood on the wall - I would guess that someone pecked somebody's comb and it bled a bit. When they shake their heads the blood will splatter. Sometimes you never see a scab on the comb or wattles - sometimes you do.

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:I think the eggs are decent sized for Banties. They would be considered small at the store, but for the size of my girls, ouch!!!!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There's your answer-"ouch." The blood on the wall was probably from a pecked comb. In this cold weather, a small nick and a head shake can create noticeable spatter.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Yes, ouch!

I have a couple Bantam Cochin girls who lay a large egg - atleast large for them. In the egg carton next to large fowl pullet eggs, it can be hard to tell the difference.

7. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Yes, they can sometimes bleed a little. I had it happen last week with one of my hens. It happened two days in a row and then no blood after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by